No announcement yet.

How can I get my hands on some rhubarb?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get my hands on some rhubarb?

I'm still at the stage of clearing and preparing the allotment my husband and I got our hands on before christmas.

There aren't many people to be seen down at the allotment (might have something to do with the cold weather?!). But we're looking with envy at all of the rhubarb which is poking up everywhere.

What's the best way of getting some rhubarb for our plot? We planted some from seed in our garden last year, but they really didn't do well. I'm hoping they'll re-appear this year, but think this will be pretty unlikely.

Is it possible to get some established plants at this time of the year, and plant them directly on to the allotment?

Any advice is appreciated - thanks!

Ive seen rhubarb plants at my local Wyvale, i dont recall how much they were but i know it wasnt a lot of money because i thought...Hmm.... to myself before the OH dragged me away!
    Life isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

buy some crowns - I'm sure I've seen them in Lidl / Aldi / Poundshop type places, as well as garden centres
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Our local garden centre already has crowns on sale, but they are quite pricey. You could also try freecycle? Someone might be looking to get rid of some from their own garden and may be willing to give it away for free!
        If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

Yup...ask your neighbours on the lottie for a bit. Most peeps grow far too much and are happy to split a couple of plants.
          You've just got to catch them- keep nipping down at weekend - you'll soon bump into a few of them! ( it's fine to plant them out for a few more weeks)

OR..buy a Timperley Early from somewhere- it's a lovely flavour,colour, and it's early..so well worth paying for.
          Some freebies might be a bit tart or stringy..you never know what you're getting! ( except it's free food!)
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Brandy Carr Nurseries - leading producers of Yorkshire Rhubarb & Yorkshire Liquorice Plants.

I ordered a mixed pack, 3 1 year old plants, from this site after chatting via email with Ben the boss, very helpful chap! Plants arrived when he said they would even with the snow, they are now potted up outside and the Timperley early just started to produce its first leaf.

Comment

I've bought 2nd and 1st year crowns but have been advised to let them settle in this year and harvest next year.

Your seedlings will probably come good.

Gardening surely forces patience on a person
              If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Wilco's £2.
                Remember If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !

Comment

Thank you all for your great advice. I think I'll try to go for some Timperley Early, sounds delicious!

Comment

Where abouts in manchester are you? I might be able to give you a crown, in the next few week when we set up our bees. we might have to move some.
                    pm me
                    Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                    Dobby

Comment

I get timperley early from thr local market it helps that he has an allotment next to mine but I still buy it from him for £1.95p, I have bought some other varieties at a garden centre for £1.99.
                      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                      and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X