Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pak Choi

Hello

OH & I tend to eat a lot of Pak Choi which i tried to grow for the first time last year without success. I grew according to the instructions which from what i can remember was late summer (Aug - Sept ish) but as soon as it got gowing it bolted everytime & i didn't get any. I started it off in modules in my greenhouse & transplanted them to my veg patch, this year i have raised beds with better soil.

The variety i tried was Canton Dwarf which i would love to try again this year - has anyone got any growing tips so that i can succeed this year with it? How would I extend the growing season so i can enjoy it for longer? Should i try sowing it sooner? Any tips gratefully received.
    Last edited by Newbie; 11-02-2009, 07:41 PM.
    Jane,
    keen but (slightly less) clueless
    http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

I grew Pak Choi very successfully last year. As I recall I started sowing in late April - in modules in the green house -and then planted them out when about two inches high in a raised bed under a cloche. I was plagued by snails in the garden I had then, but growing them under cover protected them and they didn't run to seed.
    I suggest sowing several batches every couple of weeks as you need to pick them young to enjoy them at their best. Keep them well watered too!
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

From the instructions on my pack of "Green Stem": "Pak Choi is a cool-season crop typically grown in autumn and early winter but can be sown all year round.

It is important to water well in dry weather and to keep well weeded. Provide a weak liquid feed once a week.

It needs to be grown quickly and the roots must be kept moist. Checks to growth, brought on by overcrowding or drought, will cause plants to bolt. They are snail magnets, so plants need protection in the open garden.
      If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Hello Newbie, Pak Choi will not do well midsummer. I've grown it the last couple of years and it's been great. Best varieties I found were Mei Quing Choi and Red Canton.
        Plant out in April and give a little bit of protection if needed (I didn't use any)
        Plant every couple of weeks to keep it gowing. It does like to be well watered and watch out for slugs. It does very well in a container so can be handy at the kitchen door.
        Midsummer is useless, it just bolts. I believe it wil do well at the back end of the year but I was tied up with other things and didn't get round to trying a late crop. But this year I will. August might be too early. I think I'll go for Sept, Oct. Good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I have some growing in my tunnel as we sit here typing. It should be ready in about two to three weeks - weather dependent of course.
          I can echo what Alice says about a cool weather crop. You can grow it midsummer - I did, but only as a baby leaf CCA crop for salad bags.
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

It doesn't like transplanting ... you really need to sow it direct.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              It doesn't like transplanting ... you really need to sow it direct.
              I sow mine in these 54 x cell trays and transplant it at the 4 leaf stage - I haven't suffered any problems but maybe I've just been lucky.
              Rat

British by birth

Comment

Pak Choi

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                I sow mine in these 54 x cell trays and transplant it at the 4 leaf stage - I haven't suffered any problems but maybe I've just been lucky.
                When did you sow the seed ? We are somewhat south of you but only have sprouting broccoli and spring cabbage in our tunnel.
                Shame 'cos we like Pak Choi

Comment

Digger Don, since you have a poly tunnel I think you could sow Pak Choi now, and give them a bit of fleece if they need it. What have you got to loose ?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi DD
                    If you want, you could start some off in cells now, either on a windowsill or in your tunnel if it's warm enough for the seed to germinate. then plant out when ready. I have 108 pak choi about two weks from harvest in my tunnel, another 108 sown into a heated greenhouse this week.
                    My tunnel isn't heated and for the last two weeks has had a coating of ice on the inside every morning, and the last two days has had about two ft of snow dumped on the outside. I knock the snow off, but the frost / ice on the inside goes away itself eventually - the Pak Choi haven't been covered with fleece and are looking really well.
                    Rat

British by birth

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie View Post
                      as soon as it got gowing it bolted everytime
                      Pak Choi needs to be grown quickly and the roots must be kept moist. Checks to growth, brought on by overcrowding or drought, will cause plants to bolt.

says the RHS.

When I took care over mine, it bolted. Now I just sow it direct (August) and ignore it, and it grows (lots of slug damage though). I don't actually like it, so I won't grow it this year.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I also grew for the first time last year. Sowed direct in a raised bed in August but grew far to much and a few bolted. Also grew Mizuna and Mibuna and again grew far to much although the mibuna lasted till the frosts arived.
                        History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                          Digger Don, since you have a poly tunnel I think you could sow Pak Choi now, and give them a bit of fleece if they need it. What have you got to loose ?
                          Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                          Hi DD
                          If you want, you could start some off in cells now, either on a windowsill or in your tunnel if it's warm enough for the seed to germinate. then plant out when ready. I have 108 pak choi about two weks from harvest in my tunnel, another 108 sown into a heated greenhouse this week.
                          My tunnel isn't heated and for the last two weeks has had a coating of ice on the inside every morning, and the last two days has had about two ft of snow dumped on the outside. I knock the snow off, but the frost / ice on the inside goes away itself eventually - the Pak Choi haven't been covered with fleece and are looking really well.
                          Thanks for the encouragement - will nip out tomorrow and sow some, I still have plenty of home saved seed from last years crop, no idea of the variety though.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by oldie View Post
                            I also grew for the first time last year. Sowed direct in a raised bed in August but grew far to much and a few bolted. Also grew Mizuna and Mibuna and again grew far to much although the mibuna lasted till the frosts arived.
                            My Mizuna is still growing, albeit very slowly at the moment, but a bit of heat and I think it'll race away again - as with the summer sown pak choi, I use it in Salad Leaf bags.
                            Rat

British by birth

Comment

My plan for this spring is to use up last year's Stirfry Mix from the Organic Catalogue (pak choi, tatsoi, choy sum, etc) by sowing a tray or two now-ish and putting it outside on the mini-greenhouse shelving as soon as it's germinated. Should fill the hungry gap a bit, and be all done with by the time I need the shelves for hardening off my outdoor tomatoes in May
                              Last edited by Eyren; 14-02-2009, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X