Growing Basil

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Basil

Hi all, need a bit of advise. I plan to grow my mum a pot of sweet basil for her birthday on the 5th of May. She has this idea that basil is lucky for some reason.

I don't go for the superstition bit but wondered when would be the best time to plant the seeds? I want her to have a decent enough sized plant but not overgrown either. I'd be growing it in the windowsill so it'll be warm enough to start off.

Any advise?

I'd not worry about it getting overgrown as you can nip out the tips and use them in cooking, then the plant will bush up again nicely. I'd sow several seeds in the same pot to get a bushier look.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

The plants you buy at the suprmarket probably have about 40 seeds in those pots!
      (You can split them later!)

nice idea!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'd get it started now, so that you have time to do another if you don't pull it off.

Comment

Remember it's tender - if your windowsill gets at all cold it will kill it off. Be kind to it, bring it inside the curtains at night and sow as soon as you can - plenty of seeds, as said above. Best of luck - what a lovely idea!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by The amateur View Post
            Hi all, need a bit of advise. I plan to grow my mum a pot of sweet basil for her birthday on the 5th of May. She has this idea that basil is lucky for some reason.

I don't go for the superstition bit

I think it fits that basil is a lucky plant - certainly lucky for those who get lovely fresh basil to put in their food! The dried stuff just can't compare.

Lovely idea for your mum's present.
            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I stared some off a week ago on the kitchen window sill (3 to a 3 inch pot) and it's already upand looking good.

Nice idea, I like 'growing' gifts.

Comment

When I'm sowing Basil I sprinkle the seeds lightly all over the compost and get a nice bushy pot. You can sow it now Amateur. Oh, and water from the bottom once it's growing, it doesn't like it's leaves wet.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

thanks folks will get started tomorrow and remember to keep the heater upstairs on at night.

Comment

Of course you could always cheat and root some shoots from a bought plant in water and pot them up!
                    Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

That is an unethical suggestion cupcake. Just like someone from E. Yorkshire. I saw this thread the other day and immediately rushed out and bought some seed for 79p. If they don't germinate I'll take your advice then sue GYO for the 79p. (I'm from your area). Lol
                      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                      >
                      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I take all mine as shoots from my existing plants as I find it easier than growing from seed. All are kept indoors and I have nice fresh basil all year round
                        Rotten gardener, much better at sci fi knowledge but trying REAL hard to grow anything I can eat

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                          Of course you could always cheat and root some shoots from a bought plant in water and pot them up!

I'd probably kill it off, tried it with some mint and chives. They are currently a lovely brown colour on my windowsill. Must get round to composting them.

Comment

Originally posted by The amateur View Post
                            I'd probably kill it off, tried it with some mint and chives. They are currently a lovely brown colour on my windowsill. Must get round to composting them.
                            Hi Amateur

I grow lots of herbs, I grow garlic chives from seed and plant out and I always buy shop bought chives and plant into my garden, I've got lots of it! Don't bother with shop bought mint and trying to root it, if you want some cuttings (mint etc) pm me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X