Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapes - recipes

Hi all,

Have a small vine in the garden and have, this year had a bumper crop - probably the lovely hot summer.

However, although they are quite sweet, they're not really sweet enough just to eat.

Does anyone have any recipes that I can use my grapes in ? Maybe jam or jellies.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Welshie

Grape jelly

Hi Welshie - heres a recipe for grape jelly:

4lb grapes
    1lb lump sugar to 1pt juice
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    cloves or cinnamon (optional)

Crush grapes lightly, put them in a jar or pan and heat gently until the juice runs. Turn into a scalded cloth or jelly bag and leave to drip overnight.
    Measure the juice add the correct amount of suger, lemon juice and cloves or cinnamon (in a muslin bag) if desired. Heat gently and stir until the sugar has dissovled, then boil until it will set when tested. Remove muslin bag and pour jelly into sterilized jars.

Dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Unripe grape jelly

Just found this:
      same recipe as above but use 1lb lump sugar to 2pts juice.
      dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Pickled grapes

Not sure about this one!

black, or green grapes (washed and dried)
        dry mustard
        syrup (4oz granulated sugar to 1pt water)
        1 stick cinnamon
        4 cloves

Make sure the grapes are sound and divide them into small bunches. Pack into clean, dry jars, layering with a good sprinkling of dry mustard.
        Dissolve the sugar over a gentle heat in enough water to cover the grapes, then boil up to make a thin syrup, flavouring it with cinnamon and cloves. Allow to cool before straining into the jars. Seal. Leave for 3 months before using.

dexterdog
        Bernie aka DDL

Comment

If I have any old, soft, wrinkly green grapes (shop bought), I put them in a dish and microwave them for a few minutes and serve them hot with ice cream, or cold with custard. Lovely!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi there,

just found your great forum, been looking for one just like it for ages.

I have just cooked simmered 6lb of grapes to make grape jelly. it's now straining through a jelly bag. I just wondered, the recipe I had told me to add half a pint of water to 4lb of grapes. As I was using 6lb I added about 1pt. Does the amount of water you add have a great effect on the setting of the jelly. I am going to use sugar with added pectin to make my jelly. Also I was told you could cook the fruit twice in order to harvest more juice is that correct.

Swampie Sue

Comment

Hi Swampie Sue! Welcome to the mad house! I haven't made any jelly only jam but I would imagine it will be the same principle. The extra water will probably affect the setting but using pectin added sugar should make up for that. You can boil the fruit twice to get extra juice which will also help with the setting.

I wouldn't use much water on the second boiling.
              Last edited by Lesley Jay; 26-09-2006, 12:28 PM.
              [

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply and warm welcome,

I only used about an eighth - quarter of a pint for the second boiling so hopefully it will be OK. I am going to cook the first batch of jelly up using a pint of juice that will give me a good indication of how easily it reaches setting point. I am not sure how much juice I can hope to get from 6lbs of grapes but I live in hope.

Swampie Sue

Comment

Hi all,

Just to let you know the grape jell came out just fine and tastes pretty good too.

Swampie Sue

Comment

Glad it worked for you swampie sue. By the way, how much juice did you get from your 6lbs of grapes?

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

That's good news Swampie sue.
                      [

Comment

Hi Bramble, just under 4 pints, but I've only just found out that I should have wet the jelly bag first. don't know whether or not that makes much of a difference.

SS

Comment

Hi swampy
                          I made branied grape jelly which tastes fantastic also have made 5 gallons of wine anybody got surgestions for the 15lb of grapes i have in the freezer

Comment

Hi

Sorry is that brandied as in jelly with brandy. If so would love the recipe as it sounds Delicious.

Swampie Sue

Comment

Hi Swampie

yes i ment brandied grape jelly i really must pay more attention this is a micowave recipe but i made it the conventional way mainly because i don't have a microwave hope you like it
                              Christina

this makes about 3lb
                              1.2kg 21/2lb black grapes
                              3-4 whole cloves
                              900ml 11/2pts boiling water
                              700g 11/2lb sugar
                              11/2tbs brandy

put grapes,cloves,water in 750w for 17mins stirring 2/3 times until pulpy then mash leave until cold.
                              tip into jelly bag and leave to strain for 12hrs.
                              pour into jug and make up 900ml 11/2pts cold water if need to.
                              return to bowl cook for 10mins uncovered stir in sugar and cook a further 10mins stiring with wooden spoon 3/4 times until dissolved
                              reduce power to medium 550w cook for 30-35 mins until setting point is reached stirring 3/4 times
                              stir in brandy
                              bottle as normal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X