Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help: Temporary compost for Blueberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Temporary compost for Blueberries?

Help, I've just (impulsively) purchased two bare-root blueberry plants and don't have any acid soil to plant them into. I have a bag each of fresh multi-purpose and John Innes 3, and won't be able to get to a garden center for at least two weeks to pick up any special soil for them. What can I put them in at the moment?

Could I make some mix of multi-purpose and coffee grounds? I keep seeing warnings of how acid this is when used as mulch. What sort of ratio should I do? (I don't have access to pine needles or leaf mulch, the other two acid things I could think of).

Any suggestions?

i'd just plant it in whatever you have, then repot it when you get chance, normal soil won't kill it, they just do better at producing fruit in acid soil ........ mine are just in the garden, and i'll get some proper compost when i finally get round to moving them xx

Comment

Thanks lynda66, that's what I'll do.

Comment

If you have a conifer/pine needles and some leaf mould then mix it in with the soil and it'll help lower the pH (turn more acidic). If you follow up with acidic feed then i'm sure you'll be ok.
        Last edited by Duronal; 09-02-2009, 10:55 PM.
        www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
        www.outofthecool.com
        http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X