Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion and garlic confusion!

Afternoon all!

A quick question about onions and garlic. I planted mine out at the end of November last year, having seen somewhere that it was time to get these planted, and they had been doing OK (apart from a couple of the onions which dont seem to be doing much at all) and had sent up some lovely green shoots. Now I keep reading that I should be putting my onions in now....did I do tyhis wrong - should I have waited til now to do the onions and does this go for garlic as well??? Will they be OK - especially after all this snow?

Really confused ....and now wondering where I got this info about planting in November in the first place!!! (I'm new to this....)

The varieties were Garlic Purple Wight and Onion Early Crop Radar. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Julia
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Don't panic, you can get different types for autumn and spring planting - both onions and garlic.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Cheers! Panic over... was just starting to wonder if I'd made it all up there!

Comment

You can plant in November or in the spring.
        Garlic is definitely better planted in November so you did the right thing.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Yup- spring planted garlic sometimes grows into a ball instead of segments!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
            You can plant in November or in the spring.
            Same as with broad beans
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

phew thanks for asking this question as I did the same and started worrying that I got it wrong although they do seem to be doing okay. I planted broad beans as well so I am doing something right.

Comment

planting garlic

Garlic needs to get cold before it starts growing, otherwise it doesn't form the bulb made up of several smaller ones (the cloves of garlic). If it doesn't get cold, it will grow, but just as one large single bulb. That's why you plant garlic in the autumn, or at the latest just before Christmas, so it will get cold over the winter

It can be a bit slow to start growing in the spring, so be patient; once it starts there aren't usually any more problems It is ready to harvest when it starts to die back, about July or August

Comment

Thanks for the help guys - I am hoping all this info starts to stick soon

Comment

I usually plant garlic autumn and spring, onions I only plant spring as the autumn planted ones don't seem to do very well on my plot. Still it is always worth trying both to see how they perform for you.

Ian

Comment

Onions, garlic and broad beans and peas all do well in November.

I grow the first two in modules outside and the second two under cover.

Here are todays photographs :-

Broad Beans

Peas

Garlic

Onions

My website :-
                      My allotment in Liverpool

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse