Bramley apples

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bramley apples

Apologies if this question has been posted before, but can anyone let me know when Bramley apples are ready to harvest? Our Bramley has fruited for the first time this year so I haven't experienced this before!
    I want to live forever - or die trying

I've already picked some windfalls so I suppose any time now.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

We've been picking for about 2 weeks... some are windfalls, some we've picked as they were so big they've broken little branches.

We still seem to have loads on the tree though!

Comment

Easiest way to tell, is to lift an apple and gently twist it. If they are ripe then they will come away in your hand with little effort. We have collected all our Bramleys now. We find that taking them slightly underripe means that they store better and we get them before the blackbirds etc. make nice holes for the wasps to get in!

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. The 'lift and twist' worked and we picked all 6 apples and ended up with just under 4lb. Hopefully, next year will be even better
          I want to live forever - or die trying

Comment

Enjoy them!

Comment

This March I planted 2 Bramley Seeding apple trees here in Spain. We just cannot get "decent cookers" here and I do miss a good apple pie. I have to water them every 2 days with about 25 litres of water each as we have not had any significant rain since last November! They also get some "pig poo tea" once per week. They are doing ok though at the moment. Looking forwards to our first crop maybe in 2016!
              Just think happy thoughts

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X