X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have any yellow raspberries

Hi All,

Has anyone grown yellow raspberries?

I got a T&M voucher recently [thank you to the mag for that] so thought I would buy something really frivolous ie yellow raspberries. Autumn Gold I think.

Now they are on their way I wondered the best way to make the most of them. The only spare space I have is probably not the best - by the fence under a branch of the apple tree that will be pruned off next winter. It will be a bit dry and shaded this year - but will be better next year. Will this do?

Should I try to pot them up and grow them potted instead? They are related to the Autumn bliss so may be ok in a pot.

Also do they actually taste as good as the blurb suggests? I do so love raspberries....

Ann

I bought Autumn Gold last year, and put them straight into my rasp bed. They didnt fruit first year to any great number, but the ones that grew were ok, not stunning in taste but not bad. (to my palate anyway).
    I am hoping for a heavier crop this year, but they grow in a fairly open space, in the soil, which is covered in manure every winter.
    Bob Leponge
    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Similar experience to Bobleponge. Open situation and not a bad little crop for 1st year (so I've bought and planted more of them).

Can't say that the taste lived up to the build up in the catalogue but maybe they'll be better second year round.

By the way some advice for today - yellow raspberries are OK but don't eat yellow snow!
      Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Originally posted by T-lady View Post
        Similar experience to Bobleponge. Open situation and not a bad little crop for 1st year (so I've bought and planted more of them).

Can't say that the taste lived up to the build up in the catalogue but maybe they'll be better second year round.
        Same for me. If you have loads of space grow them - otherwise Joan J gives you a lot more fruit per m2.

Comment

I've grown them for a few years now and they are quite prolific in their spreading habit, similar to Autumn Bliss. They have quite a small window of readiness and go a bit soft quite quickly. They don't keep as long in the fridge either - I usually eat the on the day of picking and freeze any surplus on the same day. I would say they have a "distinctive" flavour, not as sweet as regular raspberries and as such might be an acquired taste. In their favour, they do crop well. I made jam with them once but it wasn't very nice, a bit bitter compared to red raspberry jam.

Comment

I think you would be O.K. growing them in a large tub or pot Storming Norman, I've got a few 'All Gold' in a large tub & they've been in there a few years & do fine. I think they taste lovely but as Speed Gardener says they do tend to go soft quickly, you have to judge when they are just ripe on the canes & they are best eaten as quickly as possible.
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Thanks all for this.

Ann

Comment

yellow raspberries

Not yet - but am thinking of ordering some Valentina from Victoriana Garden centre in Kent. They sound good - but won't be delivered until April/May.I think earlies. What do you think?

Fran

Comment

The advantage with yellow raspberries is that they tend to be autumn fruiting which means an extended season. They definitely don't keep as well and I would recommend eating on the day of picking. I am going to be trying the new Marshalls purple raspberry this year. It is clump forming so not so invasive as most varieties. Hope the flavour is good especially at £13 for one plant.

Ian

Comment

i grew mine in pots, which had a mixture of soil, compost and a bit of well rotted manure all mixed together, i planted them end of april on a west facing wall very slightly shaded, feed evry 3 weeks till flowered then fornightly with just water inbetween, using liquid grow more as per doesage. mine tasted lovely and sweet and was the favourite amongst the family especially our daughter, had a fantastic crop for the first year, they cropped between the summer and autumn raspberries and cropped for longer, i would sooner have just these as i dont like the taste of any other raspberries, mine are same variety as you have ordered. hope this helps, you will need wires to support the growing canes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X