Onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions

Hi folks - I've been working my way through the seed catalogues and in T&M they've got onion sets and heated treated varieties - what's the difference (except price)? And... do I order my overwintering onions now or wait till later in the year? Thanks

Hi Martini,

Heat treated sets don't run to seed as quickly. I'd order your overwintering onions now as they've got to go in anytime now.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Thanks Nick - heat-treated it is then. I'm going to have a go at growing some from seed as well just to try but being new to this I thought I'd better get some sets as a back up.

Comment

Hi Martini,

depending on what sort you grow from seed & how big you want them I normally sow my onions (kelsae & Mammoth) Christmas day, Mrs Grief says thats just so I don't have to help with the veg for dinner but thats a horrible smear campaign

If you have some heat any time around january is OK just make sure you can keep them growing & they don't get a check as that will affect them later on & you'll be amazed. Give them anywhere between 9" & 18" depending on the size you want (9" - grapfruit sized 18" - about 5lbs each !!)

If you do grow Kelsae save a couple of nice shaped ones & pot them up next year & you can save your own seed - very satisfying
        ntg

Comment

Ive put some onion sets in the ground today (my first attempt) but not sure what I do now?

Do I keep watering them and do I stop through the winter? Do I start watering again in the spring?

Have been lucky in the fact that its been my day off today and managed a full day down the allotment on my own! Yeeee haaaa!! Had a lovely day pottering about and tidying the site. Cut back all the bramble trees and its really made the site look tidier. Time flies though doesnt it? Glorious weather as well..........surely it cant last much longer?

Comment

I think it's safe to assume they will get enough water from above to see them through till next year BL All I do with mine is keep them weeded & then next spreing give them a good feed once they start to grow again then a couple more till I pull them.
            ntg

Comment

Thanks nick ...so I just leave them to get on with it......sounds good to me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X