Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie seeking advice / opinions / help! Possibility of an allotment!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie seeking advice / opinions / help! Possibility of an allotment!

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, tho not new to growing veg (but have had a gap of quite a time since I last got my hands dirty in my parents veg patch many moons ago! lol), am married to a great guy (dobby on this forum) and have recently found ourselves rebitten with the bug for growing our own veg.

We moved into our current home 4 years ago now, and have spent most of our free time working on getting it up to spec (it was a repossesion that we got cheap but needed much work to sort out), last year finally moving onto tackling the front garden (which now looks lovely).

When we moved here dobby reitterated the fact that he would like to grow his own veg (he'd dabbled at his last house, but only very little and without too much success ), and we are now finally at a point where he can fulfill his ambitions and get growing!

We've a relatively large front garden, but it isnt really suitable to grow veg in (and I like my flowers, ferns, herbs and fruit trees!), so dobby is banned from digging it up, but our back garden is only small (approx 20' by 20'), was originally paved over when we brought the house and is used (often) for barbecueing with our friends!

Now we have agreed to lift a row or two of pavers around the edge of the back garden (on two sides) to make some beds for veg, plus lift the pavers along the side of the fence on the path that runs from the front to back garden, plus make ourselves some (probably 4 or 5) wooden trough type planters (approx 18" by 18" by 36", from the excess wood dobby's dad salvaged from pallets that was originally to make new garden fencing), but my enthusiastic hubby (dobby) now has enough seeds to plant this limited space probably 40 times over!

Locally the council have 2 plots of allotments, one at the bottom of our road with limited facilities ( http://www.pccp.info/part44/index.ph...pages&menuid=7) and another about 1/2 mile away (http://www.pccp.info/part44/index.ph...pages&menuid=8) with more plots and facilities, both of which currently have vacant plots! I've made provisional contact with the councils liason, (who has urged us to take on a plot as soon as possible, so as to be able to prepare the soil ready for next spring's planting and also to ensure we get a plot), but just wondered what the usual form is to get an allotment. The full size allotments are 250 square meters, tho you can rent a half plot if prefferred, but I am just wondering, do we need a full size plot, what sort of 'vetting' or application process would we be expected to go through, what sort of questions we should be asking, what negatives to look out for on any potential plot and if we were successful is there any general advice that folks would offer us as novices upon where to start!

Sorry this is such a long winded post, and filled with so many questions, but I would appreciate any help, comments or advice that anyone is able to offer us!

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 15-09-2006, 04:07 PM. Reason: Adding link to allotments
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

If you have been on to Trafford B.C. and they didn't give you a contact number for the person who lets the plots then go down to the sites tomorrow. Ask everyone who is there 'who is it that lets the plots'. Then what is the best time to catch him/her at the allotments.
    [

Comment

Hi Lesley Jay,

Thanks for the reply!

I've corresponded via email with the lady who runs the Trafford Allotments, and she has given me her telephone number, just didnt want to appear ignorant or to possibly jeopardize any chances by talking to her without a little more info. I like to be fully armed and informed with all the facts and data that I can get before I make a formal contact, plus hubby (dobby) still has to agree that this is what we want ot do first (of course, I have at least to let him think he makes the decisions! lol!)

Blessings
      Suzanne
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Hi Mrs D, welcome to the Vine!
        Sorry, I don't know enough to offer you advice, but there are plenty of Grapes who can.
        I have made "gentle" enquiries regarding a lottie, but am still thinking about it carefully so make sure that I will have enough time to devote to it. Like you, I would need my OH to give me a hand in the first stages (just like I did when I did my back garden) and he's very busy at work, so am still in the "thinking" stage!
        Good luck and do keep everyone updated on your progress.
        PS Try "I havent got one yet...." by Shortie lots of useful info in there regarding lotties - fingers crossed she has heared something positive from her council today!
        Best wishes
        dexterdog
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi dexterdog!

Thanks for the reply!! I'll take a good look at the forum you recommended and see what I cam gleam!

As for time to sepnd on an allotment, I work pretty hard and do long hours, usually 5 or 6 days a week, but hubby (dobby) has a great shift pattern that means he only works 3 days a week (tho he works 11+ hours when he does work), so he potentially has lots of free time that he can lavish on his growing veg!

We are thinking of using the small space we have in the garden for the more 'sensitive' plants, and the potential allotment to grow the bulkier crops such as potatoes, peas, beans, pumpkins, squashes, toms, carrots, onions, cabbage, lettuce and salad veg.
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

That sounds a super idea! my OH only helped with the initial digging over of the back garden and since then I've done everything else. OH works such long hours, and gardening (except cutting the front lawn) is not really his thing. "Fairy nough" I guess. I love serving him home grown veg tho - and he really enjoys eating them! Can't beat it! dexterdog
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
              ...We are thinking of using the small space we have in the garden for the more 'sensitive' plants, and the potential allotment to grow the bulkier crops such as potatoes, peas, beans, pumpkins, squashes, toms, carrots, onions, cabbage, lettuce and salad veg.
              Thats exactly what I'm doing Mrs Dobby. I can't say abour St. Mary's but I know the other allotments as I used to have to got to our site at the end of Broadway (I'm sure you know which one I mean)

If you like fruit & Flowers there's nothing to stop you growing soft fruit on your lottie & a few cut flowers 2 rows of dahlia's & Chrysanths will tak up about 22' including 2' for paths (not sure how long they are of course) Raspberries are good for 15 years or so & they'll need 3 or 4 ft width. I work longish hours ( well if you inclued 3hours travelling each day it's long) mut manage a full plot & I've got 160ft og garden at home as well !

Once you start, I think you'' soon fill it. Sit down with Mr Dobby & write out a list of what you like Fruit Flowers & Veg than split it home & away & see how it works out. Rather than having beds at home & as the allotments are so near I think I'd be temted to have a greenhouse at home so you can raise your plants for the lottie - but then I would say that as I've got two of them !
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply!

We did recently buy one of the cheap plastic 6' by 4' greenhouses for the back yard, and can easily fit that in without affecting the beds we've planned / put in, but I do like the idea of starting things in the greenhouse and transferring them to the allotment once they are established! I'm now on the lookout for a slightly larger and more permanent greenhouse, possibly as a yule prezzie for hubby, as I have a distinct feeling that the small cheap one we got isnt going to be anywhere near large enough! lol!

Thats a heck of a daily commute, I thought my 45 mins each way a day was bad enough! lol!
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Try the local papers. corner shops or e-bay for greenhouses decide what size you want then go for the next one up LOL!! I started with an 8x6 then bought a 12x8 then last year put the 8x6 back up! & I've got 2 coldframes as well!!

As too the traveling, I can get to partington quicker than I can get to Warwick where I work & theats only 30 odd miles away !
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

Hello
                    Just choose the right one for your needs if you have a choice!
                    Toilets/water /security/ building regs/ soil type... etc need considering
                    Hope you are successful - this is a good time of year to get your hands on a plot!!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Oh Nick...
                      didn't realise you lived so near!!!
                      How about a Schapps tasting session then????!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for that, we've been keeping an eye out on the local freecycle, but nothing as yet! I have been told to go for the biggest one (ooer missus!) we can get or fit, as we will undoubtedly find that more room is needed than we thought, but as finances are limited it may well be a case of what is available within our budget!

Having travelled once (and it was once more than enough) to Warwick to visit one of our suppliers, I can totally empathise with you on the travelling round there! No thanks!! Lol!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Thanks Nicos, hadnt considered some of those, will deffo keep them in mind when we go for a look around tomorrow!

Hmm, did someone mention schnapps????
                          Blessings
                          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Hi Mrs Dobby, and welcome to the 'Vine

When I first started the other thread, my concern started out that I didn't know if I'd find the time etc, etc. Everyone here was really reassuring and the comment that really clinched it for me was when someone said - 'you pay your rent and you do what you can do. At the end of the year if it didn't work out, what did you loose? Or what did you potentially gain if it worked out well?'
                            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Hi Shortie! Thanks for the welcome! I was going to post an introduction, but couldn't find any place to post it, it didnt seem to fit with any of the other forulm topics so I havent bothered yet! lol!

Thanks for those words of wisdom, time for myself is very short, but hubby gets 3 days off every week as a minimum, and as he is the one that desperately wants to grow his own then it will mainly be up to him (tho I dont mind helping out when I do get a day off!), so I dont really think that time will be too much of a problem here! lol! It was more a case of do we need the space, and what sorts of results will we get, but I have a feeling that our minds are made up and that we want to go for it, so I will be ringing the local council liason at the first opportunity and we are going to go down tomorrow for a look around!

Many thanks for the encouragement everyone!
                              Blessings
                              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X