First Calabrese. Yum yum.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Calabrese. Yum yum.

Has to be said. After cursing these great overpowering blue leaved monsters I got a head!
    My teensy veg bed at the top has been overshadowed by these elbowing everything else out of the way but producing nothing. Cut one only about half fist size today ( the biggest) as it looked about ready to start flowering.
    Dee- li- cious!
    Going to use all the leaves I cut off it for bubble and squeek.

I've got supposedly early Purple sprouting brocolli which is taking over...no sign of any spears yet....apart from maybe the tribe thats hiding in among them! Lol
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      I've got supposedly early Purple sprouting brocolli which is taking over...no sign of any spears yet....apart from maybe the tribe thats hiding in among them! Lol
      *Worried look. Starts sharpening secateurs just in case*

Comment

The Brocolli Strikes Back!!

Comment

grew sprouting broc,last year takes up loads of space ,don,t think you will get many spears till spring ,has to have long growing season .i was very dissapointed with mine .so grew fast maturing calabrese this year better use of space dos,t keep one plot held up for all season

Comment

Haven't got any heading broc/calabrese this year as failed dismally last year and all my seedlings got caterpillared or slugged this year, so will try again next because our small person loves it. Have however got a good looking kale crop again. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Have also got some Nero di Toscana kale in. Looking forward to first pickings in a couple of weeks time (or sooner if I cannot resist!)
            Bright Blessings
            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

hi PT! enjoy it all! I'm like EB where everything was eaten by caterpillars, and I ended up digging the whole lot up about a week ago! I must admit as a first timer, hadnt really realised how long these things take to grow. Not defeated though! going to give it another go next year! dexterdog
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

It's all producing decent sized heads now and tastes gorgeous. I know you're supposed to get small heads later from the side shoots once you've cut them but I've never grown them before.
                Does anyone know roughly how long that takes? It's actually Calabrese I've got.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
                  Haven't got any heading broc/calabrese this year as failed dismally last year and all my seedlings got caterpillared or slugged this year, so will try again next because our small person loves it. Have however got a good looking kale crop again. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Have also got some Nero di Toscana kale in. Looking forward to first pickings in a couple of weeks time (or sooner if I cannot resist!)
                  Ive got three different kales but not the large curly one I wanted. I can't remember exactly (got it written down somewhere) but I remember one is Black something and one is red something. Toscana rings a bell as well! Dinosaur kale?

Some of it is 4'-0" high and I just wonder whether it has been crossed with a triffid!!!!
                  One thing I have found is it has a natural resistance to clubroot which is good because my lottie is infested.
                  Had some steamed the other night and it was really nice. Hopefully it will come into its own later in the year when other veg are scarce as I have loads of other veg to choose from just now!
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Forgot to mention, I also have purple sprouting brocolli that was fertilised by the same triffid!
                    It is four foot high, healthy looking, but no sign of any brocolli spears yet.

Bit worried about going into the brassica patch just now in case I get attacked and eaten. Lol

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ive got three different kales but not the large curly one I wanted. I can't remember exactly (got it written down somewhere) but I remember one is Black something and one is red something. Toscana rings a bell as well! Dinosaur kale?

Some of it is 4'-0" high and I just wonder whether it has been crossed with a triffid!!!!
                      One thing I have found is it has a natural resistance to clubroot which is good because my lottie is infested.
                      Had some steamed the other night and it was really nice. Hopefully it will come into its own later in the year when other veg are scarce as I have loads of other veg to choose from just now!
                      Tuscan black cabbage. Oh you lucky, lucky creature. Food of the Gods. Lightly steam for a few minutes then saute with olive oil and garlic.
                      Packed with serious health too. Slugs got all mine * sigh*

Comment

Thanks pickled, sussed the steaming and olive oil but never thought of the garlic....sounds nice, must give it a try!

PS Was it you that mentioned (on another thread)not to use Extra virgin olive oil apart from salads as the extra virgin was nullified on cooking ? Anyway got some 'normal' olive oil as well!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks pickled, sussed the steaming and olive oil but never thought of the garlic....sounds nice, must give it a try!

PS Was it you that mentioned (on another thread)not to use Extra virgin olive oil apart from salads as the extra virgin was nullified on cooking ? Anyway got some 'normal' olive oil as well!
                          I've always got a bottle with a 4 parts rapeseed to 1 of olive oil mix handy for cooking. Gives you the flavour without wasting the properties. Virgin should be drizzled/ stirred in not heated.

Sesame seeds tossed in the pan is really good with Cavola Nero too.

Comment

Been picking Calabrese since we got back from holiday on Tuesday - its DELICIOUS! Some was just about turning, so made soup for the freezer.

These were the plants which were decimated by white cabbage fly in the summer, but my painstainking removal of the caterpillars and spraying with organic spray and covering with fleece has paid off. Told OH that when he turned his nose up at more broccoli (he thinks its broccoli!) that this was the hardest work of the summer.

Oh happy day ! ...........
                            ~
                            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X