Cooking leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking leeks

Leek pud, leek & bacon pie, leek & tate-ee soup....what else?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Geordie (who hasn't postedfor a while) has them fried on a bacon buttie! I guess the Leek & Cheese sauce is a classic as is cock-a-leekie (I assume it made with real..................leeks
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
      Geordie (who hasn't postedfor a while) has them fried on a bacon buttie! I guess the Leek & Cheese sauce is a classic as is cock-a-leekie (I assume it made with real..................leeks
      Whenever I try frying them they always seem to turn to charcoal! Onions no prob...leeks charcoal!
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

No Snadger never burnt - call them caramelised !!!!!
        [

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
          No Snadger never burnt - call them caramelised !!!!!
          Ok ...caramelised charcoal!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

How about leek and mushroom gratin Snadger? I will post the receipe for you if you are interested
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

If Snadger isn't I would be Roitlet !!
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                How about leek and mushroom gratin Snadger? I will post the receipe for you if you are interested
                Thanks roitelet, got to find a novel way of cooking all these leeks I have grown, appreciate recipe!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Leek meal ideas

Citrus Leeks with sugar snap peas - serves 6
                  20-30 ml olive oil
                  70g trimmed and cut leeks, 1cm slices
                  450g sugar snap peas or mangetouts, topped and tailed
                  salt and pepper
                  Dressing:
                  45ml olive oil
                  15ml balsamic vinegar
                  2.5ml soft light brown sugar
                  10-15ml lemon juice
                  2.5ml dijon mustard
                  grated rind and juice 1.2 orange

heat the oil in a large pan. add the leeks and saute gently for 5-6 minutes or till tender. Cook the sugar snaps in boiling salted water for 5 mns. Drain then mix with the leeks.
                  Mix together all the dressing ingredients and season. Stir into the hot veg and serve asap.
                  PS could be served cold with cold chicken or turkey.

Leek Tart - serves 4-6
                  225g sliced white leek stems
                  3tbsp butter
                  2 large eggs
                  150ml single cream
                  pinch nutmeg
                  salt and pepper
                  7 - 8 in pastry tart case, baked blind
                  25g grated cheese

heat the oven to 190C/375F/mark 5.
                  cook the leeks in a small amount of boiling water until soft. drain, return to the pan and toss in half the butter and stir well. take off the heat.
                  beat the eggs, cream and seasoning in a bowl. Stir in the leeks. Turn mixture into pastry case, spreading evenly. dot with remaining butter.
                  bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the custard is set.

These two sound really nice methinks! If anyone does give them a go - let me know how you get on! Best wishes dexterdog
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Sweat them in butter, sprinkle with grated cheese and breadcrumbs, into the oven/under the grill. Leek gratin - done.

Comment

I like that style Jazzduke. Simple and scrummy when it hits the table. For me, the vegetables are the best part of the meal. And even the avowed carnivores appreciate a good vegetable accompaniment. I tend to see any meat as an accompaniment to the vegetables. Unless we're talking about duck. Well then - that's different. I can't see one flying past without licking my lips. Maybe I'll get over it - but it hasn't happened yet.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzDuke View Post
                        Sweat them in butter, sprinkle with grated cheese and breadcrumbs, into the oven/under the grill. Leek gratin - done.
                        I think even with my lack of culinary expertise I could manage that...sounds good, I'll give it a try! Cheers JazzzDuke

Diversify & prosper

Comment

How about wrapping them in ham before adding a white sauce with sprinkling of cheese or even a cheese sauce with a sprinkling of even more cheese? Then bake. You can do the same with chicory (blanched witloof chicons, not open endive type) or salsify, cabbage hearts, etc. Don't forget the freshly ground black pepper.
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                            Thanks roitelet, got to find a novel way of cooking all these leeks I have grown, appreciate recipe!
                            Here you go Snadger. It's Yummy

Leek and mushroom Gratin

1lb leeks cleaned trimmed and sliced
                            4oz mushrooms wiped and sliced
                            1 tablespoon oil
                            1/4 pint stock
                            1 bayleaf
                            sprig parsley
                            juice of 1/2 lemon
                            4oz or so Cheddar Cheese
                            1/4 pint cream or top of the milk
                            salt pepper
                            2 - 3 oz fresh brown breadcrumbs
                            another tablespoon oil

Heat the oil and gently fry the leeks add the mushrooms and allow to cook down a little. Add stock, bayleaf, lemon juice,salt and pepper, cook for 10 mins uncovered. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and place in a buttered ovenproof dish. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Boil the remaining liquid until almost dissapeared. Sprinkle half the cheese over the vegetables.
                            Mix the nearly dissapeared stock with the cream and pour over the vegetables. Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and a tablespoon of oil and spread over the top. Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 mins at 400F, Gas 6 or 200C until crisp.

Smashing with jacket potatoes. The leek and mushroom base freezes well if you have a glut of leeks. Enjoy
                            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Here's one from Gary Rhodes I saw on tv last weekend (with my own added bits 'coz I can never follow a recipe without tweaking it!!! ) - tried it, super, simple and tasty!

Fry your sliced leeks and mushrooms in butter then place in a small dish.
                              Add a little double cream. Sprinkle on some grated cheese and then crack open an egg on top. Top up dish with a little more cream and season. Cook in a bain marie (snadger, thats a large dish with some hot water in it!) for around 15 minutes, oven temp 200C - serve hot with crusty bread to dip into your egg yolk! Yummy! dexterdog
                              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X