X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do i put the parsnips?

Hi all.
    Advice appreciated
    Have taken on a large overgrown size plot in September and have now dug half and weeded and hoping to get the last half ready for spring.
    Having read up and looked through this forum,i have decided to divide it into four and run a 4 year crop rotation.
    This been potatoes,legumes,brassicas,onions.
    I am planning to put carrots into some elevated tubs which has worked well for others but unsure where to fit in the parsnips,was thinking with the onions but have noticed on here people suggest with the potatoes.This confuses us slightly as i'm lead to beleive potatoes like plenty of manure which i've added to the quarter there going in but i've also read don't manure where roots are going as this can cause forking.
    Thanks in advance
    Kev

maybe you should have 5 beds, so you have one for roots too then you can stick the carrots in the ground with them

Comment

I have never bothered with manure.
      I do use well-rotted garden compost though, and rather than spread it all over the site, I just put it in the planting holes.

btw, I also have a 4 bed rotation, and my carrots & parsnips go in with my spuds.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'd put the parsnips (and carrots) with the onions. If you want to grow all the spuds your family will use, you may need the whole 'quarter', but you are less likely to use as much ground to produce all the onions you will want! It's a question of balancing needs and production. There is also the notion that by planting onions and carrots/parsnips in alternate rows you can hope to confuse the pests that like each of them. The other option is to set aside a bit of ground for half-grown brassicas, and move them to permanent position after harvesting the earliest legumes, then following with 'roots', which gets you 5 crops from 4 'patches', but I suspect that would be 'pushing it'.
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I usually put my carrots with onions, and parsnips where there is spare space. This year however, I'm keeping my broccollis completely covered in enviromesh - so I'm trying pinches of carrots inbetween as it will protect from carrot root fly.

What the bloke at Garden Organic said, was decide on which crop is being grown with which, and stick with it. So, as you are using manure with your spuds, you could keep parsnips with the onions as they will still be in the ground long after the onions have been harvested and it should be the quarter that gets the manured bed last [which if you follow your rotation - it will be].

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.
            I am going to try the parsnips with the onions and cram the carrots in two large butts that are about 4 foot off the ground.The guys on the allotments have always had great success with no interferance from the carrot fly.One guy is also planning to grow his parsnips the same way.
            Not viable a 5th bed for just 2 root veg at the moment
            Cheers
            Kev

Comment

If you have space round the edges of your plot, maybe you can adapt the pipes ideas from this thread?

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...nip_26076.html

NKP
              NKP1962
              The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
              Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X