Blackberries & raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberries & raspberries

I have a thornless blackberry bush in the corner of my garden, it's about 2 years old, I have had 1/2lb of fruit off it this year. I wish to move it to my allotment when I have an area cleared so any ideas on whether I should cut it back first and what time of year to move it.
    The same really applies to my raspberries which were already moved from my mother's garden last year. There are only 3 canes of Autumn Bliss, there is a small amount of fruit on them but they haven't ripen yet. I am going to get some earlier varieties to join them on the allotment so I can have a longer season.
    I would be gratefully for any suggestions as this is my first real go at fruit and I'm clueless
    Last edited by ally; 12-09-2006, 08:45 AM.

Ally do you mean blackberry or blackcurrant?

With the Autumn Bliss I would dig them up in November, replant them and then cut the stems down to about 6 inches long. You never get much fruit the first year after transplanting but Autumn Bliss is a good cropper and the canes will send out runners so your raspberry canes will multiply.
    Last edited by Lesley Jay; 12-09-2006, 09:01 AM.
    [

Comment

Hi Lesley,
      Blackberries,
      I have a new allotment which has at least half of it covered with blackberries which sadly will have to go as they are completely out of control, so I thought I would move the one I have in my garden as it doesn't have a lot of room and at least it is safe to go near without getting attacked.

Comment

Originally posted by ally View Post
        I have a thornless blackberry bush in the corner of my garden, it's about 2 years old, I have had 1/2lb of fruit off it this year. I wish to move it to my allotment when I have an area cleared so any ideas on whether I should cut it back first and what time of year to move it.
        The same really applies to my raspberries which were already moved from my mother's garden last year. There are only 3 canes of Autumn Bliss, there is a small amount of fruit on them but they haven't ripen yet. I am going to get some earlier varieties to join them on the allotment so I can have a longer season.
        I would be gratefully for any suggestions as this is my first real go at fruit and I'm clueless

To add to Ally's question above I have a taberry I would like to move to the allotment - any advice on this please.
        Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
        -- Alfred E. Neumann
        http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Denise November is the usual time for moving fruit bushes and canes.
          [

Comment

Thank You Lesley I will hold fire till then.
            Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
            -- Alfred E. Neumann

Comment

If you don't mind waiting a bit you can root the tips of the branches in pots & grow some replacements.

Either way dig in loads of compost/muck to help retain moisture & make sure they don't get sressed next year in the summer heat.
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Hi Nick
                As easy as that ! Plants for free - will certainly be giving that a go. Will let you know how well it goes
                Thanks
                Denise xox

-- Alfred E. Neumann

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X