Redcurrants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redcurrants

Please excuse my ignorance, but can't find the info in any of my books nor in threads. I'm thinking of trying out redcurrants -how high and wide do the bushes grow? In my original plans I'd saved one of my beds for cut flowers but am now thinking redcurrants (they'll taste better ). In a 'normal' year would I get enough fruit from one bush to make a few pots of jam? Any advice on the best type to get. Thanks

Hi Martini,

I have 1 bush of Ben Connan (black current) 1 x Jonkeers van tets (Red) & a white currant I can never remember & we get loads of fruit of them!!

I've allowed 6ft between them to make sure they get penty of air around them.
    Last edited by nick the grief; 09-09-2006, 08:03 PM.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Thanks Nick - that's great. I should be able to get 2 bushes in the one bed.

Just printed off the planner from your website - it's very helpful.

Comment

My pleasure, it's there for everyone.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Redcurrants

martini, just make sure, when the fruit is ripening, that you have the bushes well netted. Blackbirds and thrushes just love em, and without netting you won't get a crop. Believe the voice of experience!!

valmarg

Comment

Thanks Valmarg - I will. By the way, thanks for telling me about Moles Seeds - I got one of their catalogues and it's brilliant - loads of choice and good information. Looking at the prices of the seeds you can see just how much profit other companies are making

Comment

martini, I'm glad you appreciate my advice.

With regard to moles seeds, I can't understand why lottie shops don't use them. Sadly our local gardening club had to close down in June this year, but the bulk prices must be attractive to lottie shops.

valmarg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X