Heat Treated Onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Treated Onions

What's the difference between onion sets that have been heat treated and those that haven't? Does anyone have a preference?

Thanks
    http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

i think the heat treatment makes them more resistant to bolting, but i have never noticed a difference - for the last couple of years they all end up with sooty mould before they get to that stage anyway.
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

Comment

they are supposed to be resistant to onion rot,,,,,,,,,,but I dont use onion sets, I always grow from seed, its easier and I know where they have come from!

Robinsons mammoth onion seed is a particular good one.
      Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Thanks!

I'm growing from seed too, but think I'll get some onion sets as well, just in case it all goes wrong!
        http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

The heat treatment is supposd to kill the embrionic seed head making them bolt resistant! Or so I believe!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

onion seed

i allways grow onions from sets.i found heat treated did not bolt so often as the untreated, but there is not a lot in it. i would like to grow from seed this year. what is a good variety? and the best time to sow. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer-squeezer View Post
              i allways grow onions from sets.i found heat treated did not bolt so often as the untreated, but there is not a lot in it. i would like to grow from seed this year. what is a good variety? and the best time to sow. thanks.
              Ailsa Craig, F1 Forum.........i personally use Robinsons Mammoth. A friend of mine uses and has always used Sturon.

Depends on what room you have, how big you want them.
              Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

I've gone for Golden Ball and Hyred F1,according to Thompson and Morgan heat treating reduces bolting,particularily in red onions.I'll let you know how they go later in the year.

Comment

I always get heat treated red onion sets, because they are more likely to bolt anyway. I don't bother paying the extra for heat treated white/brown skinned ones.

I experimented last year and didn't weed my red onion bed at all after the bulbs started to form, I only had about 3 go to seed in a whole bed. So I reckon that root un-disturbance is pretty important too.

Comment

I have found from past experience that time of planting has more of a bearing on onions bolting than whether or not they are heat treated. Heat treated are usually planted later than ordinary ones which makes them less likely to bolt in the first place. The main reason for bolting is a check in growth which usually results from a cold spell. just don't plant sets to early.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                      I have found from past experience that time of planting has more of a bearing on onions bolting than whether or not they are heat treated. Heat treated are usually planted later than ordinary ones which makes them less likely to bolt in the first place. The main reason for bolting is a check in growth which usually results from a cold spell. just don't plant sets to early.

Ian
                      I can't Ian,they'll not be delivered till March,chompin' at the bit here

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X