Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aubergines - time to plant?

Hi All,

I've read that Aubergines can be started in January to give them a head start and a longer growing season. Has anyone tried this?

Margaret

Where are you going to keep them from January until planting out time?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Sow at 18-21C (65-70F).

For greenhouse cultivation: sow in January (if you have a heated greenhouse) or February (unheated greenhouse).
      For outdoor cultivation: sow in March. RHS: Grow your own Veg
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I was going to plant them on a sunny windowsill in my flat then when they started filling the little pots (mid feb), move them to my unheated greenhouse to harden off. (I use greenhouse in the loosest term here, it's a collection of old doors nailed together with plastic covering). Then in around mid-March get them into the ground. I don't even particularly like Aubergines, this growing thing is totally addictive!

Comment

I sowed a couple in January last year and they were quickly caught up by the ones sown a month later. Didn't get any harvest from either but that could have been the rubbish summer or my ability to grow aubergines (which isn't that good!). I didn't put mine out into the unheated greenhouse until April as it would have been far too cold for them, although you are further south. I sowed mine in a heated propogator on the window ledge and grew them on in my utility room. They were then planted on and put in a warmish conservatory where they became quite healthy and sturdy plants. They are however pretty tender (more so than toms for example) and need to be kept snug.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

If you're going to grow them on the windowsill Magz you could start them now, but I would wait until February when the light is better.
            As plants they grow fine for me, lovely little flowers and all - but they just don't make aubergines. Last year I got 4 little ones from 3 plants. Maybe it was the rotten summer. I'm not going to bother with them this year. Their space can go to something that will do better. Good luck with yours.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X