Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to cover this Basil with a little more compost?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to cover this Basil with a little more compost?

I sowed these Basil seeds with just a little compost on top this time, can anyone tell me if I can cover them up with more compost or shall I just scatter some round the sides of them?

Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Hello Herby, from the pic it looks as if you have sown the basil in modules with very little compost . Not much there for the roots. I prefer to grow basil in the pots it is going to live in as in my experience it doesn't transplant well.
    I really don't know how basil responds to being earthed up, but I think I would try it as I don't think you've anything to loose as it really doesn't look as if there is enough compost for the roots.
    Also, it looks as if the plants have been watered from the top. In my experience basil doesn't tolerate getting wet, the leaves go brown and rotten. I would suggest watering them from the bottom.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Herby

Got to agree with Alice on this one. I have a few varieties growing at the moment from seed, although takes longer at this time of year. Never water from the top, you will kill it off. Once you have established plants, nip off the tips and root in water (1 week+) then pot on, can be done with shop bought basil, therefore, a year round supply. Let us know how you get on though.

Comment

As above plus make sure you put them in a really light place as they are so far inside the modules they will grow lanky trying to reach the light!

Comment

Basil?
          In December ? !!
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X