Another Asparagus Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Asparagus Question

My asparagus that I planted as one year old crowns this spring continues, despite the cold and frost, to put out new spears. I do not want these to be taking energy from the roots. Should I cut them off (worried this might encourage re-growth) or should I just leave them and hope the frost causes them to die back?

How hardy is asparagus? Shouldn't it be dormant by now?
    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

A couple of people have mentioned this happening this year.

Asparagus is pretty hardy as long as it is well drained. Yes, it should definitely be snoozing in a well mulched bed.

I see your logic about cutting encouraging them to continue....I would say just leave them alone too, they'll work it out and get into their rhythm.

Comment

I would be tempted to leave them to die. Mine (when I left home) were totally dormant, with a layer of rotted manure on the top.
      Strange that yours are shooting even now, I have seen the temps in the UK recently, so its a bit odd.
      Bob Leponge
      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I's just leave them, let it find its own level, you are not supposed to cut them until at least yr2 anyway for harvesting, and if you cut them now it might be confused enough to think it needs to grow more.
        Vive Le Revolution!!!
        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

But you do need to cut the ferns off when they die back at this time of year. The bugs like to overwinter in the stems and then they're right on the spot to attack your beautiful new spears next spring - speaking from bitter experience!
          Life is too short for drama & petty things!
          So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Comfreyfan View Post
            But you do need to cut the ferns off when they die back at this time of year. The bugs like to overwinter in the stems and then they're right on the spot to attack your beautiful new spears next spring - speaking from bitter experience!
            i was told to leave them on so they would protect the crowns from snow etc
            Vive Le Revolution!!!
            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

GQT recommended keeping the stalks, allowing bugs to hibernate, then cut and burn early spring to get rid of them!
              http://www.myspace.com/bayviewplot

Comment

I have always been told to remove ferns when they go yellow / brown and so that is what I have done. Just seems strange that some of the crowns are sendinng up new spears. From what has been said, I think I'll just leave them and let the frost take care of them.

Thank you for the replies and advice.
                It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

Just last week, Bob Flowerdew said he left his ferns on ONE PLANT all winter, allowing the Asparagus Beetle to hibernate on it.
                  He then cut it and burnt it (and all the bugs, eggs, larvae) in the early spring.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

That's quite a clever idea...thanks for relaying that TS.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X