Autumn fruiting raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn fruiting raspberries

When do I cut them down? Now or wait until Spring?

valmarg

Autumn raspberries fruit on that year's canes, so can be cut back completely after harvest. Regular removal of fruited canes throughout the season can extend fruiting into winter, when all remaining canes should be cut to ground level. (RHS)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
      When do I cut them down? Now or wait until Spring?

valmarg
      The books recommend cutting summer raspberries straight after they finish fruiting but to leave autumn ones until early the next spring. However I, like two sheds, cut mine back when the finish fruiting, which is usually in early December. I usually mulch them at the same time with semi-rotted compost, which will work its way in by mid-spring just in time to boost the new growth. Don't use well rotted manure yet, save that for spring

regards

Kitchen Gardener

Comment

Gardener's Question Time on Radio 4 recently recommended cutting down in january and plenty of mulch in spring.

Also stated a couple of canes could be left for early rasps!

bvp
        http://www.myspace.com/bayviewplot

Comment

early raspberries

Originally posted by BayViewPlot View Post
          Gardener's Question Time on Radio 4 recently recommended cutting down in january and plenty of mulch in spring.

Also stated a couple of canes could be left for early rasps!

bvp
          I tried this last year and it did give me a few berries in late July (about 2 weeks early) but as my summer raspberries were in full production I couldn't see the point. However cutting back a few canes in mid April does generate some late growth and thus late fruiting (ie into December)

Regards

Kitchen gardener

Comment

I'm with *************er with this one - you CAN cut anytime from when it's fruited to the start of spring.

However, when you cut will influence when your fruit will crop. Cut later for a later crop, earlier for an earlier crop. Which is best for you may vary depending on when you'd like them in the season - and when your other fruit crops are ready.
            Douglas

Website: www.sweetpeasalads.co.uk - starting up in 2013 (I hope!)
            Twitter: @sweetpeasalads

Comment

I do mine in February, followed by a mulch and fertiliser dressing.
              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I usually do mine whenever there is one of those nice sunny days after Christmas so usually Jan but sometimes Feb if it's a rubbish winter! Usually leave a few canes for some summer fruit as I don't have room in the garden for more than one variety. However now I have an allotment which already has quite a long row of summer canes (variety unknown!) I'll not be doing that and will have summer fruits from the plot and autumn from home.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The birds are still eating the last few off mine,in the snow!

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                    The birds are still eating the last few off mine,in the snow!
                    I'm still eating mine and they taste damn fine so no wonder the birds are after them

Regards

Kitchen gardener

Comment

I still had rasps on canes when I left home last week. The birds will have enjoyed those. I will cut mine down in early Jan when I get back, and mulch.
                      On a totally different note, Burnie I just have to thank you for the vicar joke in the joke section. I laughed out loud.
                      Bob Leponge
                      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I've just inherited an allotment, with rasperries on it. Can someone tell me how I can tell whether they are summer or autumn fruiting? The fruit are still on the canes, but all black and shriveled up... (like blackberries that have been left on the bush).

Comment

My autumn ones are still fruiting a bit so sound like they could be summer ones but maybe you could ask the next door plot holders if they know.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

As the garden is a bit claggy/frozen, I think I'll leave it until Jan/Feb.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

valmarg

Comment

You may be able to tell if they haven't been pruned this year. If there is old and new wood then they will be summer fruiting and the old wood will need to be pruned out during the winter. If it is all new wood it could be either some one has already pruned summer fruiters or they are autumn fruiters. It wont really matter if they aren't pruned for one year.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X