Lime and roundworm eggs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lime and roundworm eggs

Despite worming my girls 6 times in 6 months they still have roundworm. (Faeces has been tested) I now put Apple cider vinegar in the water, garlic powder in their porridge and use Stalosan F in the run and bedding. I have been told I can use lime on the soil to kill off worm eggs but not sure how long I have to keep girls off the treated ground. I could do half the garden and then the other half and keep the girls fenced off. Somehow I have to break this worm cycle. I have to admit there have been times when I have cried and felt like giving up and finding a new home for the girls despite the fact that no-one could love them more than I do, I must be doing something wrong. Someone please help!

Avril (Frias)

What have you used to worm them with? I'm using Flubenvet now, the treatment only needs to be done once every 6 months so it works out cheaper in the long run. Got mine online from Pet Dispensary. Don't know about the lime thing, no doubt somebody else will be able to answer that for you.
    Good luck - don't give up!!!
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

We sprinkle hydrated lime inside the coop beneath the shavings.
      We'll be white wahing the walls soon too ( ran out of time before we got the chooks)
      Might help..
      Limited Poultry

http://tinyfarmblog.com/2008/04/06/l...-chickenhouse/
      Last edited by Nicos; 16-11-2008, 11:42 AM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have used Verm-X 4 times and have used Flubenvet twice. It has to be that they are getting re-infected. Lady I bought Stalosan from thought lime would work on ground but thought chickens have to be kept off it. The Stalosan F is also supposed to kill worm eggs but not very practical for use all over the garden.

Comment

Suggested plan. Restrict access, treat non access area, worm hens just before returning them to cleaned area (24 hours before might be ideal) then treat other half. I doubt lime will remain a problem for much more than a week, but not sure how long it will take to be fully effective. This is probably not a good time of year for the process as worm eggs may remain dormant, at which stage they are harder to kill, so you may need to re-treat in spring (but do something now as well).
          PS, that is based on my knowledge of 'worming practice' in other species, as I've never wormed poultry.....
          Last edited by Hilary B; 16-11-2008, 02:04 PM.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Will follow your plan Hilary. I have to wait 2 more weeks before worming again as poo has got to be tested a second time to see what worm count is.

Have read your links Nicos and it would appear lime is safe with chickens. (I am still a bit worried though!)

Thank you

Avril

Comment

I remember my dear old Uncle who lived miles away out in the sticks,only had spring water to drink and no electric used to paint the outdoor toilet walls with lime wash!

He lived until he was 96 and was a male version of Hannah Hauxley!

In the distant past I had to mix hydrated lime and creosote (both of which are banned now) and use it to mark football pitches and burn the lines on the grass at the start of the season!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger!!! are you telling me lime is OK 'cos your uncle lived with it until he was 96? Or it burns grass so might burn my girls?

I'm still googling Hannah Hauxley.

Comment

Try Hannah Hauxwell.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
                    Snadger!!! are you telling me lime is OK 'cos your uncle lived with it until he was 96? Or it burns grass so might burn my girls?

I'm still googling Hannah Hauxley.
                    As flum pointed out it was Hannah Hauxwell I was thinking of, appologies (senility setting in early)

Garden lime isn't the same as hydrated lime which does burn the skin a bit. It was the creosote that burned the grass and the hydrated lime that made the line white!

I was basically having a reminiss and thinking of various dealings I've had with various limes in my life and I'm going to shoot off on a tangent and remember another one........quicklime...........we used to bounce blocks of this along the rail tracks and it leaves a trail of sparks behind.........

Sorry to prattle on, but I do get carried away now and again (and not from men with white coats I assure you!)
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My fave lime is the slice I put in me G&T!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Ah yes Flummery definately.

I now know who Hannah Hauxwell is too.

Hubby has just found a bag of garden lime in the garage so we're going to fence off part of the garden, treat it, then worm the girls and move them to treated part. Then we can treat the rest of the garden. Still another week or so before I can worm again anyway as have to send specimens off.

Comment

How did you know they had the worms in the first place?

Stupid i know but how could you tell? I have ex-batts that were rescued 5 weeks ago this weekend coming.Should i worm them yet please?

Comment

Mine are ex-batts and I guess did not have worms when I got them as I don't know how they would pick them up in a battery cage. I first noticed small white dots on their poo when cleaning it up. I studied it further and noticed the dots moved and became small worms. These are quite tiny and could quite easily be missed. I have wormed 6 times unsucessfully and have now had poo lab tested to find out what worms these were. There are apparently lots of different kinds. My girls have roundworm and unfortunately the eggs can live in soil for a long time. Chickens can pick up worms by eating snails,earth worms etc. Cats and dogs also get roundworm so it's important to worm all your animals. I don't know how the girls got them but I am having a hell of a battle getting rid. Other than this problem the girls look very well. We do have the occasional soft egg and blood in the egg which I am told could be due to worms.
                            So yes, worm now as a precaution, prevention is better than cure.

Comment

Thanks Frias , will take your advice and do the deed..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X