Do leeks stop growing at this time ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do leeks stop growing at this time ?

My leeks have not grown very well and many look like baby leeks. Is there a chance that they will grow some more or should I harvest them from now on and pretend I was growing baby leeks all along ?

Just pick them when you need them. They'll be good until next June and should fatten up some more in the spring.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Woofster,
      I've only been growing veg for a short number of years, and I asked that very same question of an experienced veg grower (who is, incidentally, growing veg for 80 disadvantaged peeps all year long to keep them in food? which is admirable work IMHO...)
      and his reply to me was that he is of the old-fashioned school of thought, in that Leeks are a WINTER vegetable, and should grow steadily through the Autumn and Winter, to produce a crop in THE HUNGRY GAP, when all other veg are long gone.

So basically, yes, depending on the variety you've grown, they should 'pick up' any time now, and mature for early next year.

Sometimes, I love people for their positively purposeful approach to life!
      And if you want Autumn Leeks, then grow a suitable Autumn-producing leek.
      There are different Leek varieties for Early, Mid and Late Season.

I hope that goes some way to answering your question?
      X

Comment

Whilst totally agreeing with Wellie, in my experience the growth is much slower during the depth of winter due to cold and low light levels. However our recent milder winters have allowed mine to bulk up quite a bit in the depths of winter and then rampage away in the spring. The spring growth needs keeping an eye on as a bed of grand leeks can all of a sudden start running to seed.

Comment

nothing much grows in winter ... not even bindweed.
          However the roots are busy underground, and top growth will take off in spring ... like bindweed
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Woofster
            Thanks for asking that question - I am in the same position. And thanks to everyone else for answering it!

Comment

Deffo still growing..........mine look bigger everytime I visit allotment.......and it's not wishful thinking!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My leeks appear to be growing still, although it is mainly green top, I haven't pulled any yet so it may be a huge disappointment when I do
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Maybe we should have a 'leek cam'?
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    Maybe we should have a 'leek cam'?
                    good idea, you take first watch I have rugby to watch
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

Watching leeks growing is akin to watching paint dry!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Whilst we are on a leek growing theme - if I moved some leeks (very gently) and put them in deep pots and moved from the plot to the conservatory (unheated but certainly warmer than outside) would they prosper? I want to give some really fresh, decent sized veggies as 'stocking fillers' for Xmas and I wondered if I could move them. This is my first year growing leeks and I don't know how much nurturing etc they need. Will they object to being transplanted to slightly warmer climes?

Comment

don't transfer leeks!

Don't try and transplant your leeks into pots to move undercover, if you are lucky you will only set growth back by about 2 months, if not you will kill them!

A simple alternative is to use some akyl piping (used in plumbing and available from B&Q in 2M lengths for about £2) to make hoops over your leeks and then cover with horticultural fleece. The extra warmth will help them grow better, especially in the early spring

Regards

Kitchen Gardener

Comment

My leeks do seem to be bulking up a bit, especially since I weeded them ! As a result of reading everyboies replies I am going to start picking the larger ones and hope that the weedy ones fatten up over winter. In any case they will be edible at any size and liven up many a meal. Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X