Toffee Apples

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toffee Apples

All of the toffee apples I've seen on display seem to be made using French Golden Delicious apples. Leaving aside the fact that its name is in direct controvention of the trade descriptions act, why can't they use an English apple? It's not like there is a shortage of them.

My only remedy seems to be to make my own. Now I know that to all you expert cooks out there this will seem a silly question, but. How do I make the toffee to cover toffee apples?

Once armed with the recipe I might try coating other things in it. I can't help thinking that next year a toffee coated (pre-cooked) corn on the cob would be rather delicious. (Perhaps) .
    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Caster sugar in a pan, low heat...allow to melt and turn golden then dip your apples!!
    Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
    Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
    Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

i like them dipped in choccie and covered with millions and billions ...... i've only seen the pinky skinned apples up here, no golden delicious at all.

Comment

Originally posted by danmon_81 View Post
        Caster sugar in a pan, low heat...allow to melt and turn golden then dip your apples!!
        Wow, is it really that simple? This I've got to try. Stand by for a sticky mess .

Thanks for that.
        It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

may do some myself next week if i can afford it, what are you going to use for sticks? I figured I could use barbecue skewers, i always stock up cos i use em for all sorts.

don't like the chocolate ones, or those horrid RED ones you get at the fair, i like proper ones
          Last edited by BrideXIII; 06-11-2008, 05:14 PM.
          Vive Le Revolution!!!
          'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
          Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by snuffer View Post
            All of the toffee apples I've seen on display seem to be made using French Golden Delicious apples. Leaving aside the fact that its name is in direct controvention of the trade descriptions act, why can't they use an English apple? It's not like there is a shortage of them.

. (Perhaps) .
            I call them Golden Insipids, MUCH more accurate!

I think the traditional recipe just contains sugar, a very little water (so you can melt the sugar before it burns on the pan) and a drizzle of vinegar (no idea what that is supposed to do). Heat it until a drip dropped into cold water sets pretty hard immediately.
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
              I call them Golden Insipids, MUCH more accurate!

I think the traditional recipe just contains sugar, a very little water (so you can melt the sugar before it burns on the pan) and a drizzle of vinegar (no idea what that is supposed to do). Heat it until a drip dropped into cold water sets pretty hard immediately.
              I had to laugh at that recipe, only because if you swap the vinegar for lemon, thats the exact recipe i use for leg wax ( sugaring, much less painfull), never occured to me to use it for apples
              Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

barbeque skewers?
                where do you buy them in winter?
                i will try so some too if i can find some sticks....

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie. View Post
                  barbeque skewers?
                  where do you buy them in winter?
                  i will try so some too if i can find some sticks....
                  I dont, thats why i stock up in the summer, i use them for all sorts of arts and crafts stuff.
                  you can get lollie sticks in a lot of craft shops, try for that if you cant get skewers.

and failing that there are always green garden canes, after all you dont eat the stick or the core.
                  Last edited by BrideXIII; 06-11-2008, 07:43 PM.
                  Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

hmmm i shall have a wee look-see when i next go into town
                    ooh but i do love toffee apples

Comment

My mum used to stick forks in them.
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

Yummmmmmmm, toffee apples! I didn't realise that it was that easy! I think I might try to make some later on!
                        http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X