Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surplus cherry tomatoes

What to do with them?

Not sure if you can cook them into a sauce the same as normal tomatoes?

Any ideas?

Shelley
    x

Yep!
    And the flavour will be lovely!
    ??freeze them too?? I have frozen loads after cooking them in the microwave first.(took the skins off mine once cooled, but I'm sure you can leave them on too)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's tomato ketchup. We used a mixture of all sorts of toms including cheery ones and its really yummy.

Comment

Blackkitty, I used that recipe but unfortunatly it did't look very nice as we made it with black tomatoes
        It tasted brilliant though

Comment

Some of the tomatoes we used were 'black' ones but I've found they're more muddy red brown than actually black. Last year I grew green grape tomatoes and wondered if I could use those to make green ketchup.

Comment

Which black ones did you grow, the real black ones or the ones that are called black and are really browny red by some seed companys

Yeh, green ketchup sounds good, or how about white ketchup

Comment

I have no idea which black ones they were. I bought them on ebay and the seed packet was in Greek

Comment

Adam - you could keep the black ketchup for halloween- served with cowpat(spinach pizza) or vomit pizza (chopped mixed veg!)
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Surplus tomatoes??? What are they?

I don't eat uncooked toms, and all of mine go into makeing home made Pasta sauces which I then freeze
                  Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    Adam - you could keep the black ketchup for halloween- served with cowpat(spinach pizza) or vomit pizza (chopped mixed veg!)
                    There would have to be diced carrot on it to be authentic
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by seedsforsuccess@fsmail.ne View Post
                      Which black ones did you grow, the real black ones or the ones that are called black and are really browny red by some seed companys

Yeh, green ketchup sounds good, or how about white ketchup
                      I bought a bottle of white ketchup the other day but it was labeled Salad Cream
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The following recipe uses up all those hard green cherry tomatoes that are never going to ripen:

PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES

Too many pickle recipes read – and taste – as though they are the last desperate solution to the problem of gluts. Green tomatoes are the classic example. This German recipe calls for green tomatoes ‘small enough to eat whole’, which means growing them deliberately and picking the clusters of small fruit while they are still green, firm and fresh. One of the best varieties to grow is the cherry tomato called Gardener’s Delight. This has the great advantage that the skins of the fruit are unlikely to split.

This is an extraordinary pickle. Once you have tasted it you will never again forget that the tomato really is a fruit. It goes well with cheese, even better with pâtés and terrines.

Makes about 5lb (2.2kg)

5lb (2.25kg) green tomatoes, 1 inch (2.5cm) diameter maximum, stems removed
                        2 pints (1.2 litres) malt vinegar
                        6 cloves
                        1 x 1 inch (2.5cm) cinnamon stick
                        ½ small nutmeg or 2 blades mace)
                        pinch salt
                        1 lb sugar
                        1 pint (600ml) white wine vinegar

Place the tomatoes in a large pan with the malt vinegar. Stir very gently and bring to the boil, then strain immediately. (The malt vinegar can be thrown away or saved for making chutney.) Tip the tomatoes very carefully into a bowl, taking care not to split the skins.

Boil the cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg or mace, salt and sugar with the wine vinegar in a separate pan, then pour hot over the tomatoes. Cover and leave for 24 hours.

On the third day, heat the tomatoes and the liquid together, but do not boil. Lift out the tomatoes with a slotted spoon and pack them carefully into warmed jars. Throw out any that have accidentally split their skins because they will ruin the effect of the pickle.

Reduce the liquid until it turns slightly syrupy, then strain off the spices and pour the cooling pickle over the tomatoes, making sure they are completely covered. Cover and store for 3 months before opening.

If any tomatoes do split their skins, then simply remove the skins - waste not want not!!

These really are delicious!

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
                          Surplus tomatoes??? What are they?

I don't eat uncooked toms, and all of mine go into makeing home made Pasta sauces which I then freeze
                          Next year I'm not planting as many toms... we moved into our house in July and the previous owners had planted about 25 Gardener's Delight plants into the greenhouse. They have staggered some, so some are dieing off now and some are starting to fruit, but the amount of actual toms is astounding!

These pics are of the back half of my greenhouse about a month ago... they were the main fruiting plants and to the right were about 17 baby tiny plants which are fruiting now...
                          I can pick almost a colander full every day... my family don't live nearby and everyone at work has had their fill, so I thought I would cook with them! I'm definitely thinking that pasta sauce is the way to go!

The greenhouse is full of toms (and the grapevine) and next year I desperately want to grow other stuff (peppers, cucumbers etc)

Comment

If you are looking for a nice light tea.....Try lightly frying them with a little pepper, salt and a wee bit of garlice and put them on toast....This is a really quick snack and really lovely. Lizzy

Comment

Sounds nice lizzie I like to cut toms in half, drizzle with olive oil and black pepper and slice mozzarella cheese, pop under grill for a few mins, it makes a good low carb meal.

Aunt Sally

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X