Keeping seed potatoes over the winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping seed potatoes over the winter

I've done a search, but have been unable to find any information on keeping seed potatoes over the winter.

M&S has been selling small bags of unusual varieties, and I've kept a few of the smaller potatoes with the idea of planting them up next year. (I have a very small container garden, and only have space for a bucket or two of potatoes.. so it doesn't make sense to order 1kg of potatoes in the spring). They are currently in the back of my fridge.. but what is the best way to keep them over winter?

We recieved our spuds Swift and Maris Piper in Dec 07.

We kept them in a dark coolroom until we planted half of the Swift out on 30/3/08, and the Maris Piper were planted out on the 3/5/08. (We did check on them regularly and rubbed off any sprouts that appeared until we needed them to chit.)

The rest of the Swift we kept in the fridge until planting them out on the 20/6/08 with no problems, so this was a total of storing them 6 months, with no problems other than they wrinkled a bit.
    Vron, Tara & Harley. (The black beastie)

"The more people I meet, the more I like my Dogs"

Comment

The answer is to keep them in a frost free light airy room then you will not get long white shoot's.
      you will get short stubby green one's instead take them out of the bag of course and put them rose end (eyes)up and that should do the job jacob marley
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Last year I used a clamp to store my 'eating' potatoes over winter! They kept really well all the way through until May before sprouting.

I haven't grown enough potatoe's to warrant a large clamp for them this year but will use a small clamp to store my seed tatties for next year.

Very easily made with a bit of straw and soil and it keeps the frost off them but still keeps them at a low enough temperature to stop them sprouting until spring!

Once spring arrives, put them in the light with a little bit of warmth (windowsill?) and they will romp away!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger- I have never heard of a potato clamp before, so I looked it up. Pretty interesting, and an ideal way to store a good amount of potatoes out on the plot (especially because so many English homes don't have basements or root cellars - which is how we stored them when I was a kid in Pennsylvania).

The issues is I currently have two(!) seed potatoes I want to store, and only a cement patio to my name.

Thank you every one for the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen11ian View Post
            Snadger- I have never heard of a potato clamp before, so I looked it up. Pretty interesting, and an ideal way to store a good amount of potatoes out on the plot (especially because so many English homes don't have basements or root cellars - which is how we stored them when I was a kid in Pennsylvania).

The issues is I currently have two(!) seed potatoes I want to store, and only a cement patio to my name.

Thank you every one for the suggestions.
            Good luck with your TWO tatties then Gwen11ian! Lol
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Gwen, I keep my Pink Fir Apples for seed every year. I keep them in the salad drawer of the fridge (cold and dark) from October until March when I plant them (don't bother chitting maincrops)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

This is probably a bit of a silly question, but I don't know much about growing potatoes...

Why do you have to chit seed potatoes, and Two Sheds, why shouldn't you bother chitting maincrop ones?

Also, what kind of time of year are early potatoes and main crop ones ready?

Ta muchly!
                http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

On Gardener's Question time last Sunday, Bob Flowerdew suggested planting the spuds in the ground now. Plant them a little deeper and cover with a good layer of mulch and they should crop 2-3 weeks early.
                  Last edited by Capsid; 04-11-2008, 09:18 AM.
                  Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I'll join in with some silly questions.I've never grown tatties but I'd like to have some of home grown for next Christmas dinner.I was looking at some tips how to grow them and I'd like to know a few things:
                    Can you have 2 crops of tatties twice a year from the same plot(early and main crop)?
                    Do you have to buy seed potatoes or any kind will do?
                    If only seed potatoes where can I get them?
                    When to plant them-does it depend on the variety?

If I remember something else I'll ask.Sorry for daft questions but I'd like to get it right the first time

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                      On Gardener's Question time last Sunday, Bob Flowerdew suggested planting the spuds in the ground now. Plant them a little deeper and cover with a good layer of mulch and they should crop 2-3 weeks early.
                      Sounds feasible if you live in the south and don't suffer the permafrosts we have up north. How do you combat the dreaded keel slug turning them into an empty shell by spring though, I wonder?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Jenegade View Post
                        This is probably a bit of a silly question, but I don't know much about growing potatoes...

Why do you have to chit seed potatoes, and Two Sheds, why shouldn't you bother chitting maincrop ones?

Also, what kind of time of year are early potatoes and main crop ones ready?

Ta muchly!
                        Chitting the potatoes means putting them in the light so they grow sprouts (but nice green stubby ones, not the long spindly white ones that grow if you just leave them in the veg cupboard!) - this makes them a bit quicker off the mark when they get planted out in the ground. However, with maincrops they would probably catch up even if not chitted so many people don't bother chitting them, and only chit early varieties.

When they are ready depends on the type and of course when you plant them e.g. Swift are very early and can be ready as early as 10 weeks after planting whereas a late maincrop might take months and months. Generally early potatoes will be ready in around 3 or 4 months (by early summer usually) whereas late poatoes will be more like 5 or 6 months (last knockings of summer and into the autumn).

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
                        I'll join in with some silly questions.I've never grown tatties but I'd like to have some of home grown for next Christmas dinner.I was looking at some tips how to grow them and I'd like to know a few things:
                        Can you have 2 crops of tatties twice a year from the same plot(early and main crop)?
                        Do you have to buy seed potatoes or any kind will do?
                        If only seed potatoes where can I get them?
                        When to plant them-does it depend on the variety?

If I remember something else I'll ask.Sorry for daft questions but I'd like to get it right the first time
                        You can have two crops, see above, but should not grow spuds in the same spot one after the other as blight etc can build up.
                        It is generally recommended that you buy seed poatoes as these are guaranteed disease free. If you live in a blighty area this is especially important! Having said that, many people grow from any old spud and as long as you get lucky and avoid blight etc it does work.

Seed potatoes are usually available in garden centres or from mail order seed companies. If you look at the right time of year, it shouldn't be hard to find some

When to plant them - normally March/April time, or July/August if you are attempting to produce Christmas potatoes. Bear in mind that Xmas spuds are a bit of a gamble so don't put all your eggs in one basket!!
                        Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Thanks Demeter, that helps a lot!

I think I shall try some early and late potatoes for next year, will go have a look at some websites for buying them!
                          http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jenegade View Post
                            I think I shall try some early and late potatoes for next year, will go have a look at some websites for buying them!
                            They'll be on sale in garden centres etc in late winter/early spring. You can order from seed companies but you'll pay a lot in P&P.
                            Some lucky people have Potato Fairs near them, where you can buy all different kinds in large or small quantities; have a Google.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Demeter-now I'll have to think about the variety

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X