Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please re: BLUEBERRIES

Hello all

I have three blueberry bushes that I bought this year and have potted up in large pots. My question is would they be better in the actual ground - I do have an area they could go - and if so roughly how big would they grow, also the leaves are a beautiful red colour, but do I need to prune etc, and if so how (in basic basic terms please).

Thank you very much

kwa50
    CraftChallenge.co.uk - Home

Oops forgot to say....

can I take cuttings from these same blueberries, when and how (again please in basic terms)

Thank you
    kwa50
    CraftChallenge.co.uk - Home

Comment

Hi there!
      I've found a site which explains quite a lot about blueberries!
      (Actually it's quite a funny site!)
      Loads of info on pruning too! I esp like step 5 of pruning!
      Plant Care

Height?? If they said patio blueberry, then about 18"
      If not then between 3-5feet depending on variety.
      Last edited by Nicos; 30-10-2008, 04:46 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Blueberries need acidic soil so unless your ground has that then they are best grown in pots in ericaceous compost. Usually they will need little pruning.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I've had my two Blueberry bushes for two years now, and I've not pruned them, except for removing any dead wood. I read somewhere that Blueberries are difficult to propagate from cuttings? If you find out different, perhaps you'd let me know as I'd love to have more of them for no money!

Comment

Blueberries are best grown in pots unless you can be sure what soil you have - they need ericaceous compost also best is rainwater for watering, although I'm told that tap water is better than nothing in dry spells.

For propagation, try rooting from early 1-2cm softwood cuttings or 10-15cm midsummer cuttings (full clip will be typed up and posted if required)
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Two Sheds posted up about Blueberry propagation earlier, which I've just seen. Ta piskie !

Comment

We have 15 blueberry bushes planted in the ground. They are just planted with half a bag of ericaceous compost about the roots and are then fed twice a year with food suitable for azaleas etc. They grow so much better in my experience when planted in the ground than in pots.

They are ok with tap water so dont overly worrit about using that. The main thing is to NEVER EVER EVER apply manure of any kind to them as it will kill the roots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X