Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to rippen figs?

Hi

We have a large-ish fig tree in the garden, for the first time ever we are getting good size ripe figs, but only 1 at a time, there are quite a few good size green ones, can anyone tell please me if I pick them green is there a way to rippen them off the tree so we have enough a a time to do something with?

You could try with a couple of them by putting them in a warm dark place together with an apple or banana. I am still waiting for my rescued fig tree to produce an edible one.
    Regards
    Don Vincenzo

Comment

Thanks Don

I did wonder if the paper bag trick would work, I've picked about 15 today, which were hanging down (the garden books say they are ready then) but are still green, I'll give your idea a try.

Lou

Comment

We got a fig tree last year as a pressie but a door fell on it and it died. (dont ask) we would love another, apparently they only fruit properly if their roots are confined. dont know how true this is, we just googled it, also it said they fruit twice but only the fruits thats over winter will ripen. sorry cant be more help but would like advice for when we get a replacement.
        good luck.
        Yo an' Bob
        Walk lightly on the earth
        take only what you need
        give all you can
        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

They do fruit twice in the Mediteranean, but here they don't get a long enough growing season for the second crop to mature. If you don't restrict the roots they will grow to ginormous proportions & you don't get any fruit. The usual way is to make a "pot" out of 4 x 2ft slabs on edge & stand in on about a foot or two of builders rubble. Good drainage & makes it hard for the roots to escape.
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

From stuff I've seen you have to remove the fruits that aren't going to ripen in time - as Nick said they normally fruit twice (or more?) - to enable the others to ripen properly?
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

figs

We just let em get on with it. The tree has been planted about twenty years,
              no root confinment, i just rub off the wizened looking ones and our average seems to be about 18 - 20 fruit on a tree 6feet high by about 4feet wide.

Thats in South Yorkshire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X