Progating gooseberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progating gooseberries

Can I do this by putting a branch (still connected to the bush) in soil and waiting?

Also if the branch is vertical or horizontal any goods on how to do this?

The easiest way is to be a totally untidy gardener like me! I finally sorted out the border with the gooseberry bush in and it had layered itself just as you describe. The lower branches had rooted, I chopped them off, stuck them in the very large pot that had contained the early potatoes at the beginning of the season. I have 3 lovely strong plants now, ready to plant out next year.

If I were doing it deliberately I'd bend a low branch and either put a brick on it or hold it down with a tent-peg type of thing.

Good luck with it - there's nothing like getting free plants.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Layering (causing a low branch to root into the ground) works for many plants - even some that can be difficult to propagate.
      Gooseberries (and most of the other bush-type berries) also root easily from cuttings in mid-autumn.

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
        Layering (causing a low branch to root into the ground) works for many plants - even some that can be difficult to propagate.
        Gooseberries (and most of the other bush-type berries) also root easily from cuttings in mid-autumn.
        Suppose there are no low branches?
        Last edited by southlondongardener; 21-10-2008, 09:36 PM.

Comment

As FB says, gooseberries root so easily from cuttings. if your bush has no low branches (and congratulations if this is so) pop a few cuttings in now and you should find that they have rooted fairly well by early summer. I find that if you grow gooseberries on a reasonably long leg, in the form of a standard, it is less likely that you will get the dreaded American mildew affecting your plants.

Comment

Yes, just cut off a branch about 10 inches long, remove lower leaves and thorns, and stick it in the ground. Label it or you'll weed it out.

This works for Roses and Blackcurrants too.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by southlondongardener View Post
              Suppose there are no low branches?
              Cuttings? Or bend a long one down.

Comment

I agree with Two Sheds - I have successfully done this with my Ben Sarek blackcurrant. The fruits are so huge that I wanted not just more blackcurrant bushes but more of THAT ONE. Now got 4 more.

Comment

The bonus with layering is that you pot on an already rooted cutting and have a plant that can be planted out the following year.

Comment

So can you propogate Blueberries in the same way then? I have a small compact Blueberry bush that has grown one long branch this season that is way longer that all the rest, could i grow a new plant from this?

(Sorry for hijacking the thread!)
                    Jane,
                    keen but (slightly less) clueless
                    http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie View Post
                      So can you propogate Blueberries in the same way then?
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post298394

Comment

i'm doing this with a boysenberry i have......i have 2 ends planted in pots(the parent is still in a pot....hopefully for only another week!).

how long do you leave it before you separate the parent and child parent(if i can put it that way)?.

i plan on planting the parent this weekend....should i wait til after that, or does it not matter?.

also, i take it from whats already been said, i should leave the cuttings in their pots for a while longer.....how long?

thanks in advance.
                        Finding Home

Comment

and if you do take cuttings from a branch - make sure you cut straight across at the bottom and at an angle at the top ...else you stand a jolly good chance of sticking the poor thing in on its head - although the thorns should help give this away!
                          Last edited by piskieinboots; 10-11-2008, 08:30 PM.
                          aka
                          Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by kiwirach View Post
                            i'm doing this with a boysenberry i have......i have 2 ends planted in pots(the parent is still in a pot....hopefully for only another week!).

how long do you leave it before you separate the parent and child parent(if i can put it that way)?.

i plan on planting the parent this weekend....should i wait til after that, or does it not matter?.

also, i take it from whats already been said, i should leave the cuttings in their pots for a while longer.....how long?

thanks in advance.
                            can i just bump this to see if anyone can answer my questions, rather than starting a new thread....thanks in advance.
                            Finding Home

Comment

Originally posted by kiwirach View Post
                              how long do you leave it before you separate the parent and child ?
                              until the new plant is rooted. Tug it to find out. (gently)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X