Goji berries - suprprise

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goji berries - suprprise

I have had a suprise small crop of Goji berries, I bought three plants two years ago, nothing happened and I thought they were dud, all of a sudden - they're full of red berries. How do I know they are ripe and how can I dry them? Does anyone know please?
    Thanks

i've considered buying a couple of bushes, but what do they taste of, roughly. i haven't even tried the dried variety but have heard they are good for you.

Comment

I think you have to dry them first so I haven't tasted them - they are not supposed to e too nice I dont think, but very good for you. I have just threaded some chillies on cotton to keep hanging in the kitchen to dry
      , I'll try doing the same with the gojis and hope for the best.

Comment

They actually grow in a wild form not too far from where I live - their common name is the Duke of Argyl's Tea Plant!

Don't like them meself but there you go. If we were all the same the slower of us would be killed in the rush!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I tried some goji's the other day......and nearly choked. They taste awful! Out of interest i offered one to my cat and she loved it So there we are you've now got yourself a bush full of cat treets.
          www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
          www.outofthecool.com
          http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've just tried one - they're VILE!! Left a horrible taste in my mouth. I'll dig them up and give them away, if I can find anyone who want them. Seemed a good idea at the time!

Comment

Before you dig'em and throw'em - do try 'em dry - you may find the taste more to your liking. They're also hugely good with antioxidants and other Vit C properties etc. Perhaps like much medicine its not always the nicest thing to take.

I love the dried ones and hope to get an early crop next year on what will be 2 yr old plants - fresh or dried I'm up for the task!

If you do decide to dump them, if you can't find any ready takers, do put them at from of house 'free to good home' style before composting! Someone's bound to take them if you really can't stand them. But do have a go at the dried ones first - the taste i'm sure will be quite different - but I have to admit it is acquired.
              Last edited by quark1; 29-10-2008, 08:45 PM.

Comment

i always find with fruit i don't really like but is cheap in the supermarket, if i put them in a smoothie, add a bit of honey ..... you can't really taste them

Comment

I bought the bushes because of their health giving properties, I have tried to dry them on the windowsil over the radiator but couldn't wait til they were dry to try them. I may persevere and dry the others. What is the best way to dry them?

At our allotments we have a a recycle point outside the trading post, where plot holders put unwanted pots, trays, netting, plants etc. It's well used and I'm sure the goji plants wont be there long if I do dig them up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X