Potatoes to dig up or not to dig up?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes to dig up or not to dig up?

I have some late potato seeds that I planted in August. The instructions said that I was to protect them from frosts in Oct, Nov and Dec and that I should have nice new potatoes for xmas. They also said that the plants might flower and this is a sign that they are mature and ready to harvest. Well I've had flowers for a couple of weeks now.

Should I get out there and dig some up or is it too early? I've been putting it off. Think I'm a little scared they won't have grown. Daft I know

Get your hand in and have a feel around. If there's nothing, then leave them.

If you planted at the beginning of August, you might have something, but I reckon it's a bit early.

If you can protect them from frost, I would leave them until the foliage has got weak - it will yellow when the plants run out of food. Keep checking to see if you can feel any tubers along the way.

Comment

Right thanks I'll try having a feel round tom and see what I find

Comment

You need to have a furtle!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The very earliest potatoes would be ready is 60 days and thats for a variety called Swift.
          I would suspect you are growing second earlies so I would think your looking at a time of around 110 days to be of a good size under normal conditions.
          Potato videos here.

Comment

Have a feel around and see if theres anything thats the size of what you fancy!
            The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Stick a garden fork into the ground close to the plant, SODS LAW says that if there are any large potatoes there, you will skewer at least 1 with the tines of the fork.
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I'm gonna need to mark planting dates on my calendar I think as my memory is really bad then I'd know how many days they'd been in there

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  this is a Vine technical term
                  aka
                  Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    Oh I was going to say that. It's one of my most favouritist wordies!

Comment

Its a good word lol. Must admit I haven't furtled yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X