X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgettes!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi
    Don't know if anybody has asked this question before, but here goes:

Can courgettes be blanched, or are the glutt best eaten and/or given away?

You may be able to guess, that we had a great year for them !

Baz
    Gone to plot!

i just chopped mine straight off the plant, and put them in a bag with the air sucked out and froze them ....... they need less cooking when they come out, as they usually arent as firm, but they taste as good.

Comment

I pickle my glut!!Posted the recipe on either making the most or season to taste~pickled courgette!When I first saw the recipe I wasn't convinced,but honestly(IMHO)the best way to eat courgettes!!~with a chunky cheese sarnie!!
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

You can always turn them into ratatouille (or similar) and freeze that
        I'm not sure that courgettes freeze too well?
        Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

thing is, they already have a high water content before blanching, things like that don't freeze well really, it's all very technical, ice expanding, breaking down cell walls, creating slush when defrosting etc etc.

high tech freezing 'flash ' freezing is ok, but not very many domestic freezers are capable of that.
          Vive Le Revolution!!!
          'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
          Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Turned my glut into soup and ratatouille - they are rather mushy when they defrost and (personally) I don't like that.
            Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

courgettes

You can always make chutney - we've got loads to give as Christmas presents!!

Comment

I do love courgettes! and if you do have the freezer space, it's truly amazing how many soups you can create for yourselves for the Autumn and Winter Months, just by chucking a load of courgettes in 'as well'.

Truly natural ingredients, watery and full of life - straight into your soup.
                Why add stock cubes? Just put loads of courgettes in.

Oh, sorry, I went 'off on one there' - what was the question?!
                X

Comment

I wouldn't freeze courgettes, as they go mushy. As others have said, make them into sauce and freeze that
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi
                    I did find a benefit to courgettes going slushy when defrosted. I still had loads left over from last year, they'd been grated in 450g packets for cake recipes.
                    I found that when defrosted you got a lot of liquid out of them and they then make a much dryer courgette cake than using them freshly grated.
                    So get them out of the freezer the night before you want them, put the frozen wodge into a sieve over a bowl and in the morning they should be thoroughly drained - make your cake - delicious.
                    Sue

Comment

I had loads of courgettes too this summer - gave so many away other people were getting sick of them! I did freeze some though. Chopped into discs, blanched for 2 mins, rinsed in cold water, dried thoroughly, bagged up and put in freezer. I found the best way to eat them after that is to roast with the meat for sunday lunch - straight from the freezer for about 45mins. A bit mushy, but sooo tasty!

Comment

I sliced mine into Juliennes and froze them like that. They'll be used in stir fry anyhoo, so not too bothered about crispyness!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X