Can onions and leeks follow carrots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can onions and leeks follow carrots?

Just asking as am planning on doing the planning soon for next year.

janeyo

If you group your veg as brassicas, roots, or others, then the onions/leeks come under the 'others' and so can follow roots. You will need to add compost/organic matter to the soil to feed this group, just as if you would for peas/beans. Hope this makes sense.
    Julie

Comment

Mine have gone in where the spuds came out of as it had been well manured for the spuds.

Comment

One of the problems may be that the carrot bed is defficient in nutrients and organic matter. As long as you beef it up with compost/manure once the carrots are finished and give a top dressing of a general purpose fertiliser, I see no reason why onions couldn't follow carrots!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My onions (300) are going in when the runners have finished and where the peas were (same bed). The manure layer that went in May (well rotted) is still a layer of just under an inch thick.

Snadger would this be ok or do I really need to dig it in to the clayey soil underneath or can I just plant through the manure?
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I can't remember where but I read not long ago that planting onions, leeks and carrots together helps keep their pests off because of the smell from the other plants, I would guess that that would mean it's ok to plant onion and leeks after carrots. I would put some manure on the bed first though, on a blog I read I saw a picture of a bed on onions, half that had been manured and the other half hadn't, and it makes a BIG difference.
            www.alifelesssimple.wordpress.com Up-dated Regularly

Biodynamic grower in training

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X