Beetroot problems

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot problems

Not really grown beets before,last year I let them dry out and none germinated,this year,lots germinated but ,due I think to too much chicken pellets,lots of tops and small tough useless crop.Is there an idiot proof seed some one can recommend for next year before I give them up

I would be delighted to know the same. I had them coming along lovely but then they disappeared - they never seem to get any bulk to them
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I found Boltardy really easy... pretty much just put them in the ground and left them to it. I only did two sowings this year but I wish I had done more.
      pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't feed them!!

I literally threw some into an undug clay bed and left them to their own devices. They were some of the ones I won from HW's GasMan competition [so, Bolthardy].

I had already sown some at home and they were growing nicely, but were still quite small, so I thought - why not?

They not only overtook the ones at home, but were perfectly spherical. They grew half in and half out of the ground like they are supposed to, and just shot up in no time.

Anyway, the main thing with the bed they were grown in was absolutely nothing else was in there except clay - and big lumps of it.

Diameter [just measured one] 70cm - just over 2 and a half inches. Sown mid july. So about 10-11 weeks old.
        Last edited by zazen999; 28-09-2008, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I started mine in modules, then planted them out at the 2 leaf stage, no thinning. I got groups of 3 golf ball sized beets, which were just what I wanted! Mine were Boltardy too, no soil improvement done except to dig over & weed.

Comment

Okay, I give up then. I have tried Boltardy - both starting in modules and planting out when they were growing away nicely, and straight in the ground. Still nothing either way. Maybe my ground is just not suited to them
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Looks like half the SNC are on here then,thanks for the advice,I will try the modules,used bolthardy this year,will study the seed catalogues and see what they have to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                Okay, I give up then. I have tried Boltardy - both starting in modules and planting out when they were growing away nicely, and straight in the ground. Still nothing either way. Maybe my ground is just not suited to them
                Sounds like you've had some hideous weather this year though Shirley, I wonder if that's made a difference? I started mine off quite early while we were still getting some sunshine. The ones I tried to sow direct later did nothing at all, I think slugs/snails munched them as soon as they showed their head!

Comment

This year i have started both beetroot and parsnip in toilet roll holders, less weeding and
                  up to now the results are good

Comment

i planted my first lot in june, they are only just starting to get bulbs, bulls blood and a mini beet, i planted some boltardy in august, and they are catching up with the others already, straight into soil with about an inch of compost on top.

Comment

Well I'm an idiot and Boltardy worked for me, although I did seed them a bit close together but OH cooked and bottled them the other day. So we now have baby beets for Christmas (soon be here you know) and sliced beets to be getting on with.
                      I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

I usually grow Boltardy but they grew TOO big last year. This year I've grown Detroit which make golf ball size beets which are tasty.

Round here most of my allotment neighbours start them off in modules which seems to work well, just I've never felt the need as I get good results direct sowing.
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I grew boltardy. The first sowing I put straight into the ground a bit close together so I thinned them as small beet and let others grow. The second lot I sowed into pots just two or three seeds per pot then put them in the ground. The third lot went straight into the ground but not so close this time. I have had loads of beetroot of all sizes still got some in the ground.
                          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                          and ends with backache

Comment

I grew the white beetroot from realseeds, they mostly grew well, varying from 2 inches across to monster ones which fed the whole family, none went tough and all were fine to eat.
                            I liked them, none of the worry about red juice bleeding all over you or the kitchen.
                            "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X