Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions-To lift or not to lift?

Title says it all really!

Onions still upright but appear to have stopped growing...shall I bend over tops and risk fungal problems (warm & wet weather) or just lift and dry in greenhouse? Had a few with botrytis earlier in year
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Lift, Bend over the tops and slightly loosen the roots from the soil and leave for a week (or 2) and then lift and store them

Comment

Was going to ask the same Snadger - you beat me to it!

I have lifted a few and got them on mesh in the greenhouse - just to see what happens. I can't dry them outside hre - tried the last two years and no luck. Result was they didn't last in storage.

Should I break off the tops completely or just bend them over when I dry them ?

Got garlic drying off in the greenhouse too.
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie, just bend them over. You can chop the tops off then they are dry or use the tops to hang them like this

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the pic and advice Adam.
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

do i have to wait until the green bits have died before i lift them ths.
            regards
            Anthony

Comment

Anthony, you do have to wait until the green bits die really, but if you are impatient like me you can lift them.
              Sorry about the picture, it went a little big

Comment

adam how would we get by without people like you
                again many ths.
                regards
                Anthony

Comment

Well anthony, i am quite amazing i must say

Comment

thats wot i thought keep it up
                    Anthony

Comment

How will you get your head through the door Adam??
                      [

Comment

Well Lesley as I have told you before, I had all the doors widened in my house so I can get through
                        You should know that

Comment

Adam, I what will you do after Christmas when there all gone

Comment

You should leave them to bend over and them lift up when dry to brak leave 2-3 days before storing start storing in earlt morning when dry.
                            Hi! Please look at my 'brilliant' site about dolls houses and miniatures! I can always use new members, not matter how much you visit or not! Also, the more members I get the more things I can put on, so go on, do me a favor and at least look!
                            http://dollshousebeginner.page.tl/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X