X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ham Onions

Hi all

Anyone grown Ham Onions?

Just purchased some seeds from Hungary on ebay and they look to be the onion equivalent of the long beetroot (Cylindra?) The slices should be of even diameter as they are a long onion. I think there name 'Ham onion' is because they look like a smoked ham shank, but I may be wrong! I have two packets, a normal straw coloured onion and the red version as well.

If you have grown them, please let me know whether you were impressed or any problems encountered

Cheers
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

SOunds interesting Snadger. let us know how they turn out. Are they F1 Hybrids or open pollenated? If the latter save a couple of each & replant them in pots in you greenhouse & you can seed them dowb for the following year. If you haven't got a greenhouse a nice warm sheltered spot will do.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Not sure if they are F1's or not as everything is written in Hungarian!!!
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

ahhh, that could be a problem I don't know any Hungarians I'm afraid. Try writing to the guy you got them off & ask him. Mind you F1 looks the same in most languages I guess (apart from chinese. Japanese, Russian, arabic ......)
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

We had a Hungarian lad working with us, but Friday was his last day I'm afraid.

Comment

Just an update!

I started this thread last year when I bought these seeds from Hungary! They have been a tremendous success and are very similar to Piglet's shallots...but better (sorry piglet..not!)

They are big croppers in both the red and white version. I've included some piccies. They were grown six inches apart and six inches between rows which meant I had to hand weed them. All that you see were grown in an area about 4 foot X 7 foot in my old leek trench which to me, seems a tremendous crop from such a small area!. I still have some growing in another area which have more space between them and it will be interesting to see how they do.
            I think once dried they should resemble large Banana shallots and only time will tell how they store? Ideal for slicing as they give equal sized rings they are the onion version of cylindra beetroot!
            A deffinate for next year, and if I cannot get the seed I'll do as Nic advised and grow my own!
            Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Better, maybe,

but mine are British bred seed, store well and for me at any rate have been a tremendous success.

Comment

The people I bought the onion seed from now have an online shop with lots of goodies on it. They are nice people to deal with so I thought I would post their address!

www.tilumina.de

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X