Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberries

Hello

I have had a search for my Raspberry query but can't find what i'm after so here i am asking!

I'm hoping to try growing some Rasps next year (as OH eats them in seconds when i buy them & they're soo expensive!) but having looked through various catalogues i'm a bit confused about the whole canes thing. Most that i have seen are sold in quantities of either 6, 12 or more canes - so...

Does each plant consist of only one cane?
    How much fruit can i expect per plant?
    How much space do they take up?
    Do they have to be grown along a wire?
    When is best to plant them?

and other useful info?!

many thanks,

xxxx
    Last edited by Newbie; 21-09-2008, 08:31 PM.
    Jane,
    keen but (slightly less) clueless
    http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

rasps spread, much like an unwanted weed and will grow in the area immediately around the cane you plant.
    plant a cane anytime but deep winter, about 1.5 foot apart.
    takes a few yrs to build up but autumn ones crop faster.
    summer ones crop heavier but need a couple of yrs to build up

no need for wires with autumn but best to support summer ones.

good luck, but rasps are pretty hardy, just give them as much room as you can
    http://www.myspace.com/bayviewplot

Comment

Does each plant consist of only one cane?
      Yes.

How much fruit can i expect per plant?
      Not much for the first year. Yield varies according to variety. Bird protection will be essential.

How much space do they take up?
      As much as you want them to. After a couple of years, they will send up quite a few root suckers around the base, which you can plant elsewhere.

Do they have to be grown along a wire?
      Support is required for most varieties, otherwise they'll droop to the ground, or get damaged by strong winds.

When is best to plant them?
      Winter seems popular, but I reckon early September if they're pot-grown. Most plants send out a mass of root growth in early autumn, which speeds-up establishment.

Comment

Sorry to butt in on your thread Newbie but have the same hubby problem! I am also a complete failure when it comes to growing rasps. I Planted 8 canes of Tulameen last November of which only two showed any growth (pathetic growth at that).

I followed all available advice/planting times - they still died! I can at least console myself with my tayberry but where did I go wrong?

I've heard 'Joan J' a primocane(?) will give fruit in the first year but unless I can I find it pot grown I'm a little scared to try again!

Comment

Raspberry's are a "pest"they spread some way from the main plant
          I have had them come up as much as 10' from the patch.
          I am trying to get rid of mine I have dug most out but I expect to be getting shoots for some time(prob years)
          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
            Raspberry's are a "pest"they spread some way from the main plant
            I have had them come up as much as 10' from the patch.
            I am trying to get rid of mine I have dug most out but I expect to be getting shoots for some time(prob years)
            True. Five years are not off limits.

Comment

So what are your views on putting a few Rasp plants in a designated fruit bed with for example currants, blueberries, stawberries, goosberries? Good idea or bad?
              Jane,
              keen but (slightly less) clueless
              http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie View Post
                So what are your views on putting a few Rasp plants in a designated fruit bed with for example currants, blueberries, stawberries, goosberries? Good idea or bad?
                As long as you give them plenty of room (6 feet?) away from the other bushes you should be Ok
                Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

sooooooooo ... what's the top tip for growing raspberries?

We planted approx a dozen canes earlier this year and most of them seem to have died off, only a couple sprouted new growth ... what went wrong?
                  Lass

In all things of nature there is something marvellous.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

My top tip for looking after raspberry canes and probably other cane fruits is this.

When buying them or spitting your own ones up either to spread about or give to chums is to ensure that if you cannot deal with them immediately - ie replant them - is to steep them in a bucket of water. I've had them in water for up to a week whilst a friend readied the area she'd put aside for them after I had dug them up. I think you'll be surprised how much trauma they can stand. And they can grow like weeds so need to be controlled.

This was also in springtime and despite the 'insult' to the canes - they produced in her garden that summer - not huge quantities - but enough for a little taste with icecream!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X