Peppers and chillies taking too long

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peppers and chillies taking too long

I planted peppers and chillies in my greenhouse right at the beginning of the year. Because the summer has been pants they have grown into lovely plants with loads of flowers but the fruit hasnt set yet. I don't really want to throw them out , can they stay in the green house over winter or should i re-plant them into pots and bring them indoors. If I do will they carry on and have fruit. Div

It has two chances , up or down.

As long as the greenhouse is frost free they should be OK. I can't understand why the fruit hasn't set though. Are the flowers falling off or have they only just formed?

Comment

the flowers might not be fertilised i would suggest going round with a small paintbrush or if very careful use your finger to give the plant a helping hand

Comment

A paintbrush, eyeshadow brush, cotton wool, tissue, finger or even a dropped flower will do. Early fruit/flowers on one variety just dropped off - but I guess they weren't ready or properly set.

I've managed to get a few fruits to set doing this. Also applied to my one remaining truss of Vivaldi potato flowers - one set to a decent size the other the size of a mini ball bearing - but at least something! Wind, rain and hail got the rest.

I'll be overwintering mine. Late starts and on windowsill of unheated conservatory right now. Will pull away from window position when weather gets colder.

My own theory is that if I have well-established plants early on next year I'll get a bumper crop? And they make nice houseplants anyway.

Comment

I've only got one red one on it and loads of small green ones on my cayenne chilli plant.

Peppers were only started slightly late but all I've got is loads of tiny green ones at the moment, not sure if they'll get big enough to eat before the cold weather comes along.

I like the idea of moving indoors but not sure how much light they need?

Comment

One pepper has a small green one on . the chillies are just a mass of flowers.I have a conservetory but it will be heated in the winter. They are in troughs at the moment so I would have to dig them up and put them in pots, do you think they will mind being dug up.

It has two chances , up or down.

Comment

I have had a disaster with cvhillies this year...had more than I knew whta to do wuith last year. But this year much like "Divvy" I have a few late flowers and that about it...I tried to keep my chillies over winter in the shed by the window...disaster!

I think the secret may be germinating indoors as early as new years day! Then hopefully you get some good early season growth ready for spring...

Comment

The chillies i'm growing indoors are doing well,lots of fruits despite an attack of spidermites. The same type outdoors are looking a bit worse for wear, the slugs and the wind got them.The jalapenos have grown well but are refusing to turn red,maybe not enough sun? I think chillies will overwinter indoors for a good early start next year.

Comment

My chillis didnt do anything and the plant then got killed by slugs/snails. My peppers weren't doing well but they were moved into a new greenhouse last week and they now have fruits on them. Im hoping they grow bigger soon, how long should I expect the fruits to take? They are approx half inch in size at the moment but its a noticable growth every day
                  Life of a Cycling Gardener

Comment

2 years ago we grew peppers on the balcony in Nottingham and picked the last ones on Christmas day for our festive chilli.

This year, I have loads of lovely chillis and peppers, and they are still flowering daily. Most of the chilli plants have long chillis and they are turning slightly black [prior to red] in some places, but it's so slow. We also have 3 chocolate pepper plants, still producing but are slow to turn chocolate colour.

I'm going to get a massive pot, transplant the whole lot into it, and move them indoors in a few weeks time. I was just going to save 3 and overwinter but I can't choose. I'll harvest all the green ones and chop and freeze them, and see what happens with the plants themselves.

I grew mine really hard this year, putting them outside quite early and it seems to be paying off as they don't seem that bothered by the elements. I'll definitely be doing that again as well as growing some in the greenhouse when it gets here later in the year.
                    Last edited by zazen999; 26-09-2008, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X