No announcement yet.

Do I have to pull up my lovely carrots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to pull up my lovely carrots?

This is my first full year growing veg and have had lots of successes, one of which was my Rainbow Carrots. I have been picking them as I need them and so still have plenty left in the ground.

My question is, do I have to pull up the rest of the carrots before the first frost, or can I carry on as I am eating them when I need them?

Depends where you are, up here in Scotland the local farmers leave the crop in the ground and cover them with straw,you can try storing them in sand as the books tell you,but I've never had much succcess with that.If you slice them and cook them you can freeze them in small quantities and make Carrot whisky out of the juice.

Comment

I leave them in the ground and pull them as i need them.

Comment

Carrot whisky? Is that like Sloe Gin?
        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by glut View Post
          Rainbow Carrots. I have been picking them as I need them and so still have plenty left in the ground.

My question is, do I have to pull up the rest of the carrots before the first frost, or can I carry on as I am eating them when I need them?
          Would be really helpful if you put your location onto your user profile - that way we know what advice is best suited to your location without you having to tell us every time. Having said that, carrots (and beetroot and parsnips) are hardy - the only reason for lifting them is to stop the slugs getting to them and to make sure they're not frozen into the ground when you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
            Carrot whisky? Is that like Sloe Gin?
            NO,don't go putting carrots in good whisky
            Recipe is in Cj Berrys wine making book.

Comment

I have my carrot bed covered with enviromesh for 50 weeks of the year.

This means that I am free of carrot fly BUT ALSO that I have a microclimate under the mesh which allows me to pick carots as I require them and not worry about storage problems.
              I was harvesting Autumn king carrots right through winter and up until April this year!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

[QUOTE=glut;285163]This is my first full year growing veg and have had lots of successes, one of which was my Rainbow Carrots. I have been picking them as I need them and so still have plenty left in the ground.

Glut where did you get your Rainbow Carrot Seeds from they sound lovely

Comment

I grew carrots and parsnips in a 12 inch piece of downpipe this year on recommendation from my Dad's mate.
                  64 tubes in a 2ft square box.
                  The carrots are coming up 9 inches long and straight but the parsnips are coming out 16-18 inches long and are hard to pull!!
                  I'll be doubling the amount of pipe next year!!

Comment

My parsnips are coming out of my very well prepared roots bed around the same size as yours, but when we roasted one, all the thin end was completely useless, as it was too tough to eat.
                    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X