Plantng shallots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plantng shallots

Got some shallots today from garden centre. Is it best to start them off in modules in an unheated greenhouse? Am planning to grow them on in troughs outside.

Thanks in advance
    Fi
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

I wouldn't normally start shallots this early. I start mine in cell trays around February.

Comment

These are Shallot Jermor. Pack says overwinter planting for early crop. Plant in Autumn.
      But I guess I will start them in modules?

Comment

i bought some of those! I'm going to put them straight in the ground and hope for the best

Comment

OK coomber, I will stick mine in the troughs and we can comapre results
          Last edited by FionaH; 19-09-2008, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Can I play as well!!!

I've also bought some (although I thought they were quite expensive!)

I'm going to plant them in pots and after they've grown on a bit decide what I'll do next.

I have loads of my own shallots so as a daft trial may plant some of these in the autumn as well. I meant to try this last year but never got round to it.
            Jermor look a bit like the eshalotte you buy in the shops so I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I bought some of those today. Mine are going to go straight in the ground too.

Comment

I grow Red Sun, Golden Gourmet, Jermor and Haute de Noire all as overwintering its the only way to get decent shallots before the dreaded mildew strikes in the late spring.

Comment

OMG! This means I did something right? Even if I did do it by accident

Comment

I tend to start mine in individual little pots on the patio around this time of year and plant them out on the allotment in spring. That's just because I'm lazy and it gives me longer to dig the bed over!
                    ---
                    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Comment

I got some last week and planted them last Sunday (14/09) alongside some garlic...here is hoping for the best

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X