garlic?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garlic?

Hi everyone! Just got some garlic bulbs from the lovely people on the IOW - with very useful instructions I must say - but could I plant them in one of those terracotta thingys that usually have strawberries in them? I know I need to keep them outside so that the frost will give them a kick start, but would the little holes all around the pot be OK? thanks dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

No, I dont think so dexterdog.I just pop 1 clove per 3 or 4inch pot and leave them in a shuttle tray outside in a slightly sheltered spot.The frost gives them a quick start as you say(Iv'e found winter planted garlic grows much better then spring planted and tastes and stores better!)

Comment

lyndap, how long do you leave them in those pots for before planting them? I had assumed you had to plant them straight out. I'm trying to sell my house, so the longer I could keep them in smaller pots the better.

Comment

Thanks for that lyndap - ive just bought some more pots so will spend an hour in my greenhouse this afternoon, potting my garlic and avoiding the rain! dexterdog
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

blossom - this year we started some spring garlic in 5cm (?) modules because the beds weren't ready, they were in there quite a while. I bet you could put winter garlic in modules 'til early spring if necessary.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Thanks very much

Comment

Hi Blossom,

I always plant my shallots in 6" pots & keep them in the cold greenhouse then plant out in spring. You could easily do the same as they aren't going to make a lot of growth over the winter.

It has the advantage of slowy improving the soil as well
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

I've kept them in little pots from october through to april occasionally,but mostly Nov till march/april

Comment

thanks for the advice chaps! never did get chance last weekend, but really must get my act together this weekend and get planting! dexterdog (oh, 'cept sunday when its my 23rd wedding anniversary!)
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

dexterdog (oh, 'cept sunday when its my 23rd wedding anniversary!)[/QUOTE]

Cogratulations dexterdog!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Congrats for Sunday Dexterdog! Just in case I forget by then!

Comment

many thanks squirrel! going to spend the day together, probably walking Dexter the dog along the coastline at Arnside in the Lakes. dexterdog
                        Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Hi dexterdoglancashire,

Am about to order some garlic from www.garlicfarm.co.uk, is this where you bought yours from? Am interested in Solentwight garlic as these are good keepers.

Jill

Comment

Hi Jet - yes it was. Fast delivery, well packaged - I just need to find the parcel now then I can plant it! ha ha! dexterdog
                            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X