Fennel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fennel

I missed the boat sowing fennel this year and just wondered if any grapes did sow them and if so how are they getting on? any tips for next year??

i sowed mine what seems like months ago, and had given up, but yesterday a small sprig was poking through the surface, don't know if they are perennial or not, but i'm only growing them for prettiness

Comment

Florence Fennel (the bulbous thing), or fluffy fennel ?
      I have bronze fennel self-seeding itself everywhere, it's a total pain.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I grew some fennel near my beans because I heard somewhere that slugs and snails don't like them - guess what? whoever said it was very very wrong, the 'slimey ones' scoffed the lot over night and then moved on to my beans!

Oh well, there's another year coming, completely untouched.
        A closed mouth gathers no feet

Bad crop = it's the weather's fault, Good crop = Green fingers - Hmm

Comment

I grew some. Planted them in June. I think conventional wisdom says plant July to prevent bolting but in Scotland it might be different. I had no problem with them and got a good crop. You can see some here. Give it a go next year.
          Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Nice one Alice.

I heard they were difficult and bolt at every opportunity ?

When you say 'planted' in June do you mean 'sowed' or 'planted out' ?

I have a huge bag of Franchi seed for next year

Comment

I sowed the seeds in June Maf, so probably set the plants out in July. I believe they do bolt if they're started too early. It's the first time I've grown them but had no problem.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Florence Fennel (the bulbous thing), or fluffy fennel ?
                I have bronze fennel self-seeding itself everywhere, it's a total pain.
                The bulbous one

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                  I grew some. Planted them in June. I think conventional wisdom says plant July to prevent bolting but in Scotland it might be different. I had no problem with them and got a good crop. You can see some here. Give it a go next year.
                  [ATTACH]5842[/ATTACH]
                  They look lovely alice can't wait to try them they are so nice to eat!!!

Comment

Well mine ALL bolted - can't remember when I sowed or planted though!!
                    (must be more organised next year)
                    Tx

Comment

I'm lucky as I don't need to plant fennel as loads of it grows wild around my village but I have never actually dug it up to eat the only thing I have ever one is take the top to put in food. When would be the best time to go and get it from our local hedgerow for the bulbs?

Comment

I have some (admittedly shop bought) Fennel in the oven as we speak (type?)

Always thought it was horrid stuff until I had some on hols.

3ish bulbs chopped downward into 1cm slices.
                        5ish bannana shallots halved.
                        Chopped chilli, loads of garlic and season to taste.
                        Huge glugs of olive oil and squeeze of lemon.

Roast till just going crispy then toss though hot penne

Comment

I sowed some in early June and it bolted, I tried again third week in July and although only two of the seeds (out of 8) germinated, I had lovely juicy fat bulbs which I harvested yesterday. I'll definately try again, but next year I'll hang on till late July. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I sowed the first lot in my garden and watered them every evening, but the second lot I sowed at my lottie, and only watered them immediately after sowing.

Comment

I'm sure that i read somewhere, to sow them in august so that they don't bolt. Not tried it myself yet though. Maybe next year.
                            "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

3ish bulbs chopped downward into 1cm slices.
                              5ish bannana shallots halved.
                              Chopped chilli, loads of garlic and season to taste.
                              Huge glugs of olive oil and squeeze of lemon.

Roast till just going crispy then toss though hot penne [/QUOTE]

Sounds lovely maf will try that one
                              Have you tried Fennel Risotto?? is lovely its a jamie oliver recipe (jamies italy)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X