Onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions

That's it, I have given up with brassicas...not hearting up and cabbage white butterflies...

I am going to give onions a go, instead..

can anyone give me some advice on what varieties are good to use for the beginner.

Sets or seed?

Many thanks
    Last edited by donedigging; 15-09-2008, 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling

I think sets are easy. You just make a little hole, pop them in, put them back in when the birds pull them out and then watch them grow! You could even put some Japanese sets in now to overwinter.

I grow Red Barons, I think red onions have such a good taste, but they're more expensive to buy. Some people say they don't store well, I've never had a problem, but as I don't have much space for too many, I've usually used them all (within about 8 months) before they start to rot.

Shallots are good too. You put one in and get a whole bunch back!
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Don't forget to plant garlic too, late September/October time.
      Last edited by Capsid; 15-09-2008, 10:28 PM.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Poor you!
        1) Brassicas are not an easy crop ... they probably have more pests & diseases than any other crop. If there's one you really must have, eg. sprouts for Xmas dinner, then just grow one plant, and cosset it ... netting, weekly checks for bugs etc. If you have too many plants, you just can't keep up with the work.

2) Onions aren't without their problems either. I got White Rot in my crop this year, for the first time ever, and now I can't grow them again on that same ground for about 7 years I think.

The crops that I have little or no problem with are squashes (pick a cool-climate variety) and French beans ... I'm aiming to grow 300 plants next year to keep me in protein
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i grew onions for the first time this year. Is it normal to get some smaller than others, some were like golf balls and soft, others a small onion size, I was a bit disappointed none were bigger Should I try a different onion any suggestions?
          Thanks, Kath

Comment

I'm hedging my bets and [although I said i wouldn't] I'm growing 150 sets as well as many many onions from seed, all different types. I usually sow onions in some form or other every week apart from mid oct to Christmas day.

I have decided to keep brassicas to a minimum, swede and cabbage only with a few calabrese fully netted at all times. Beans are so much easier and if you run out of freezer space, you can dry them and keep in jars...plus you can have them as green beans as well as shelly beans. Again, I'll be growing a variety of heritage ones to spread my bets.

I asked my OH if he had any idea now many onions we will have next year, and his words were 'we always use them, and they keep don't they'. Heh heh heh - he has no idea!

Comment

Just received my Thompson & Morgan catalogues,lots of inspiration for onions /garlic and especially tatties,worth getting one if you need some ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                Just received my Thompson & Morgan catalogues,lots of inspiration for onions /garlic and especially tatties,worth getting one if you need some ideas.
                I agree.........never seen as many tatties, pages and pages of them!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                  here's a link to the online catalogue: Thompson & Morgan Seed and Plant Catalogues
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by KayJay View Post
                    i grew onions for the first time this year. Is it normal to get some smaller than others, some were like golf balls and soft, others a small onion size, I was a bit disappointed none were bigger Should I try a different onion any suggestions?
                    Thanks, Kath
                    You'll get bigger onions if you add plenty of compost to the soil to retain moisture, plus a dressing of fertiliser when you plant the sets is beneficial. Don't plant them too late either as they need time for the base to swell.
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Thank you everyone that has replied, other forums I have asked, haven't bothered to replie

I'd like to say that "Capsid's website was very informative, thanks, keep up the good work....a question, do you work full time as well?

Comment

Originally posted by donedigging View Post
                        Thank you everyone that has replied, other forums I have asked, haven't bothered to replie

I'd like to say that "Capsid's website was very informative, thanks, keep up the good work....a question, do you work full time as well?
                        Thanks for taking the time to read it! Yes I do work full time. Why do you ask?
                        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Just wondered how you fit it all in?............it looks so good..

Comment

I think I'm fortunate in having a veg garden rather than an allotment. I can just walk out the back door and get going. It's not that big either so it not too demanding. I only work on it at weekends which exemplifies that once set up a veg garden should not take up a lot of time to maintain. Actually, I seem to be spending more time in the kitchen and coming up with ways to cook the produce at the moment.
                            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Mine is the same, back garden, this this my second year , but quite frustrated with the results, so have given up with brassicas- to much trouble- trying to set out next years plots, no help from OH!! thank you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X