Hazelnuts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazelnuts

Does someone know when Hazelnuts should be ripe - and is there a good way of telling?
    Thanks

hi Caroline - I believe that hazelnuts are usually ready mid September. Do you have your own tree or are you talking generally? dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

dexterdog, I've got a hazel hedge which this year has a good number of nuts on it. The Squirrels have just started to eat them so I was hoping that I could harvest the rest before they pinched the lot .

I've opened a couple and they have full, very white nuts in them, they taste ok but I'm not sure if they are still unripe or just fresh .

Comment

Hi Caroline, am very interested in your hazel hedge. How long ago did you plant it and how long before it started fruiting.

Regards, bramble.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi Caroline - sorry, got info out of HFW book Cook on the wild side - I dont know any more than that! dexterdog
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hello Bramble, I think Hazel usually takes about 5 years before it will fruit. The nuts are usually ripe around Sept - Oct. Certainly not ripe around here yet.But certainly expecting to get plenty for Haloween - the traditional time for feasting on them. I should know more about this. I grew up in a house called Hazelwood - yeah - because of all the Hazels. I suppose we all leave our childhoods behind.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

If you let them turn a light Straw colour & pick them then ans then store somewhere cool the'll be ready in a few weeks or so. What you can do is bury a large clay pot in the ground & put them in there & cover over with a tile or something similar they'll keep til christmas - it's what squirrels do but without the pot !
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Hi Alice, thanks for that. I would to give them a try. Hope the name brought back happy memories.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Sorry Bramble, we have just move into the house/garden so no real idea. I would guess that the hedge is a good 10 years old though.

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                    If you let them turn a light Straw colour & pick them then ans then store somewhere cool the'll be ready in a few weeks or so. What you can do is bury a large clay pot in the ground & put them in there & cover over with a tile or something similar they'll keep til christmas - it's what squirrels do but without the pot !
                    NTG thanks for that, when you say light straw colour are you talking about the covering leaves of the shell itself?

Comment

Yes Caroline, they have a sort of leafy husk & this & the shell go a sort of straw colour.
                      ntg

Comment

Many thanks.
                        Here's hoping I get some left.

Comment

The squirrels round here are scoffing them like mad. There's piles of shells on the pavement under a tree down the road from me. Makes a great crunchy noise when you walk past. In my garden they're chucking them everywhere

Comment

I suspect that we may get a hard winter this year FHG judging by the berries & friuts around that have been nibbled.
                            ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X