fennel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fennel

hi guys i am growing fennel as i think it is a really attractive plant but today i have just realised that i have no idea what to do with it so any ideas would be more than welcome
    cheers tracy

You can use freshly harvested sprigs to flavour salads or boiled spuds just sprinkle on top. Try here for some tips.

Comment

Delia has a great recipe, boiled (lightly) and chopped into quarters, stuff into halved red peppers, add an anchovy fillet to each half pepper, 'drizzle' (stupid word) with olive oil and chuck into a hot oven until slightly blackened. Very yummy.
      All my fennel has bolted!!!!
      Tx

Comment

Nice with trout or any fish for that matter. Chew the seeds as a breath freshener!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yep, I like fennel as a seasoning for fish, especially any fish you cook whole. A few sprigs of fennel in the cavity left by gutting gives a lovely flavour to trout, mackerel, etc...
          At our Spanish retreat we get wild fennel (everywhere) and it gets used for almost everything I can't season with rosemary (which also grows wild everywhere in that area). Making use of what you've got is something I enjoy.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

would love to know where your spanish retreat is and what you grow there ??
            how much of the year do you spend there
            sprigs of fennel you say not the bulb at the base ??

Comment

Tracy, you can slice the bulbs and saute with onions, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, beans or anything you like and serve as a vegetable.
              You can also freeze them.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

do i have to blanch it before freezing or just freeze as is cheers tracy

Comment

Tracy I just slice it, lay it in a single layer on a tray, pop the tray in the freezer for a couple of hours then tip it into a freezer bag or box and clip closed.
                  Same for chillies, peppers, leeks, beans, carrots, peas, herbs and much more.
                  I know it's a big debate but I don't blanche and have never had a problem.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Jamie Oliver has an excellent Fennel risotto receipe in Jamie's Italy book
                    I have cooked it a few times now and always seems to go down well! (either that or my family are just polite!)

Comment

Alice do you freeze your green chillies straight away from picked? ive loads of green chillies still waiting for them to go red!! i have no patience lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X