best-ever beetroot recipes please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best-ever beetroot recipes please

Just harvested mine today and they are sitting, bleeding, in the sink.

Would love some advice.

Try Hazel at the Hill's brilliant beetroot chutney recipe:

Beetroot Chutney - makes 2 medium sized jars

300g cooked beetroot, diced (scrub and boil whole roots for about 3/4 hr depending on size - cool, peel, chop. Do not answer door unless you want your visitor to think you are Sweeney Todd)
    150g onions - peeled and diced
    150g cooking apples, peeled and diced
    40g demerara sugar
    1/4 tsp ginger
    80ml vinegar (malt vinegar, or whatever else you've got)
    1 tsp salt

Bubble all ingredients up in a big pan - stirring to dissolve sugar.
    Simmer for 3/4 hour - stir occassionally
    put in steralised jars. Using a jam funnel makes this job infinitely less messy that it would be otherwise.
    Mature for 1 month

I can vouch for its deliciousness!!!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

thanks for this - am just doing it now - doesn't seem much liquid, ah well, let's see how it turns out.

x

Comment

I use them for soup (borscht) come the winter,I have been told that they freeze well once cooked too.
        (I shall be growing many many more next year!!)
        Tx

Comment

This is from the book Easter Vegetarian Cooking by Madhur Jaffrey. Unless I have a lot of tomatoes to use up I use chunky tinned tomatoes instead. I use about a tin and a half and use the other half tin to make a dal. This is a very very very simple easy dish to make. I serve it with brown basmati rice and a dal. delish :-)

Stewed beetroot with tomatoes

675g ripe tomatoes
          900g raw beetroot
          3tbs vegetable oil
          pinch asafetida
          1 tsp whole cumin seeds
          1 whole dried hot red pepper
          1 tsp ground turmeric
          1 tsp salt

Peel & chop tomatoes, put them in a bowl
          Peel the beetroot and cut them into 2cm dice
          Heat the oil in a big pot. Then hot put in the asafetida. 2 seconds later add the cumin and red pepper. Stir once and add the turmeric. Stir once again and put in the tomatoes. Cover the pot immediately and keep it covered until all the loud sizzling noises subside. Add the beetroot and the salt. Breing to a simmer. Cover, lower heat and simmer gently for 1 hour or until the beetroot is tender.

Comment

forgot to say, the recipe above serves 6.

Comment

My daughter made a lovely beetroot and chocolate cake last week, I will get the recipe from her.

Comment

I was at a bring and taste evening in Lincolnshire last weekend and some one made a delicious dish of beetroot curry (I know, sounds unlikely but, believe me, it was good).

She said the recipe is in the current issue of the Waitrose magazine. We don't have a Waitrose in my corner of Devon and I didn't get the chance to pick a copy up in Lincoln so if anyone has it..........

(We also made a beetroot and choc cake but forgot to put the sugar in so the less said about that one the better)

Comment

I'm going to try the Madhur Jaffrey recipe - perhaps this weekend. Sounds lovely.

Our fave is so simple...
                  Boil any amount of beetroot until tender. Cool in cold water and skin. Chop beetroot. Add mayo. Add a pinch of cumin, or a small onion finely chopped.

Mix, keep in fridge.

Voila; pinky mayo beetroot; looks great with salad. We added hallumi this week and had it in pittas. Also good with curries, or any rice dishes, or any potato dish - just gorgeous.

I also put it into vege soups, we call it Goth soup as it's so purple.
                  Last edited by zazen999; 13-09-2008, 09:49 AM.

Comment

First time I ate beetroot, aged about 8, I was violently unwell a couple of hours later (and you can probably imgine how spectacular that was). I repeated the experiment a couple of years later with similar results. I've never eaten it since.....
                    Last edited by Hilary B; 13-09-2008, 10:15 AM.
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

oh hilaryb - you don't know what you're missing! and it's sooooo good for you! am on a 30 day detox this month and it requires a glass of beetroot juice every day! just as well I like beets eh?

Like the idea of the chutneys suggested, will def try!
                      "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

I like it simply boiled and mixed with sour cream. Borsch is a favourite too and it freezes well.

Remember when we only ate beetroot pickled in vinegar? Really sharp on the tongue. Ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by deezyb View Post
                          oh hilaryb - you don't know what you're missing! and it's sooooo good for you! am on a 30 day detox this month and it requires a glass of beetroot juice every day! just as well I like beets eh?

Like the idea of the chutneys suggested, will def try!
                          After 2 attempts which resulted in a rather scarey effect. I came to the conclusion that I must have a dietary intolerance to the stuff.... Good for those that can eat it, but if you had had the same results I did, I doubt you would want to go near it ever again!
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by willowstar View Post
                            This is from the book Easter Vegetarian Cooking by Madhur Jaffrey.
                            I think it's probably the same as this one, thanks to Kleftiwallah for the further recommendation

Recipes - Shorvedar Chukander
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I made this last week it was lovely!

Beet & caramelised onion tart recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

I added salt and pepper though and some feta cheese to the base mixture as reviews suggested it was a little bland without the extras.

Really good and made a change. the pastry was great too
                              http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X