dying butternuts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dying butternuts

my butternut squashes are dying. i cannot get to see them them as i'm am stuck in hosp (grrrrrr) but mu hubby informs me they are ailing and dying back, leaves and stems. a few weeks ago i did see signs of mildew. do you think they may pick up, or are they and the squashes done for? would the squashes ripen off the plant? i'm gutted , they were doing so well.

My squashes have done the same thing. I've given up - being further north, they don't have much chance of growing more now anyway. Are yours about full size? If so, I'd feed them and try and keep them going as long as possible. When the plants die off, they'll hopefully have ripened enough that they can finish off indoors.

Comment

thanks for that, i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

Most cucurbits get downy mildew towards the end of the season, but it doesn't seem to affect them. I would get your OH to pick off the worst leaves, feed the plant where it roots and see if you can keep it going a bit longer. Also, if you haven't already done it, putting a dry surface (e.g. an old board or pallet) under the fruit will help to stop them rotting on wet soil. Fingers crossed!

Comment

No signs of mildew on mine, but they are looking sorry for themselves and rotting before swelling. I put it down to the appalling weather (like everything else). I've decided to get a proper greenhouse for next year, even though it'll cut down my lawn by a half!

Comment

"rotting before swelling" sounds like poor pollination?
            I blame the rain!!
            Grrr.
            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

The leaves and stems will naturally be dying back now. Mine are. My butternuts are probably half the size they should be; I'll leave them in situ until the weather turns bad (or badder)

They need to be started off quite early to get a good long growing season ... this year has just not been warm enough for them.

There are varieties that are supposed to be better in a cool climate, like Harrier, Hawk and Hunter. Squash Butternut Seeds, Squash Butternut Varieties, Vegetable Seeds
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Demeter View Post
                "rotting before swelling" sounds like poor pollination?
                I blame the rain!!
                Grrr.
                I think it might be rain and temperature, rather than pollination. I get a lot of bees in the garden and the courgettes certainly did well. Bloody country! Don't think I'll bother with them, next year.

Comment

Managed to grow just one butternut fruit last year!!! This year same as 2sheds..quite a few on three plants but not very impressive sized, when the stalk turns brown they are ready - leave them till the first frost as a rule. If you pick them unripe they will not store well.

Comment

I found that one of mu butternut's has put down auzillary roots from the vine nodes and so i'm stuck with the damn thing in my flower bed. I didn't even know that this could happen. hey hum!
                    www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
                    www.outofthecool.com
                    http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                      when the stalk turns brown they are ready - leave them till the first frost as a rule. If you pick them unripe they will not store well.
                      and pick them with a long stalk (longer than you think) so that rot doesn't travel down the stem into the fruit

Comment

I checked my butternuts today - they're small, but look like dinner already
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I cut 7 of mine yesterday. Small(ish) but the skin is hard and yellow and they look lovely. Smallest is around 4 inches long, most of the rest are 7 to 8 inches.

Comment

Mine are flowering for the second time this yr. The first time, all the little fruits turned yellow and died. This time, I have 4 growing at the moment (and there are lots of itty bitty ones abt to flower!). Two are definitely turning yellow and rotting away, but the other two are getting bigger. One is the size of my fist! Should I put something under them? Will they have enough time to grow? If not, I can use the space as I have lots of little seedlings waiting for a chance. These two plants are taking up quite a lot of space in the plot in my back garden. Next year, I'll not grow anything this demanding back there.

Comment

Originally posted by marigold007 View Post
                              One is the size of my fist! Should I put something under them? ...These two plants are taking up quite a lot of space in the plot in my back garden. Next year, I'll not grow anything this demanding back there.
                              If I were you:
                              1) cut off the stem in front of that fist-sized butternut, to concentrate the plant's energy into that fruit, not the leaves. Otherwise, the plant will just keep on growing

2) If your ground is wet, put something like a brick under the fruit to keep the damp (& pests) off it.

3) next year, grow a bush type squash like Gold Nugget, instead of a trailing type.

4) or, construct a trellis/frame for your trailing types, so they grow vertically instead of along the ground

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X