Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pumpkins - powdery mildrew advice please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkins - powdery mildrew advice please!

hi

I have only 3 pumpkin plants and got 5 pumpkins coming along nicely, but tonight i noticed that the leaves are going mildrew, so looked it all up and used the search engine, but nothing tells me how i can help this, my squashes over the garden have them too!!!!

I have removed all of the bad leaf and will only water in the mornings in the future, i dont want to lose my healthy squash and pumpkins, can anyone please tell me what else i can do?

Thanks

SS

I have had it on all the cucurbits. I've been removing affected leaves, and new leaves are coming through to replace them. I hope I haven't killed the plant by taking too many is the only thing!!

Apparently it is caused by dry soil and wet air, so my reasoning is that removing the affected leaves will not only take the infected material out of the equation but also allow for the rain to reach the soil and the air to circulate more freely and stop it getting too damp around the plants.

There is probably something you can spray them with but you'll have to wait for someone else to tell you what cos I don't know!! (garlic, I expect lol)

Good luck, and well done on the pumpkins. We've only got one, from 2 plants, although I must say it is a beauty
    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

thanks demeter

i did read on a search that someone said garlic, but then that didnt work, so someone else said MILK, but i dont know if that will work either. I am gonna be like you and remove the affected leaves and hope for the best, i am only growing them for halloween, not even gonna eat them!!! well OH might LOL, but the rest of us dont like them!!!

Good luck with yours, my cuces survived some mildrew, i just removed the leaves and the cuces on them are lovely and tasty, so fingers crossed!

Comment

mine have got mildew too - I have been pulling the leaves off and removed a whole plant because it was in such a state. Fingers crossed they will survive until fully ripe!
        We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
        Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

help my pumpkins are not surviving!!!!!

can anyone please help. my husband has only wanted to grow a pumpkin and i feel really bad because every time one starts to develope it rots at the flower end. i have removed flower as developing thinking this was the problem but not working. have mulched bed and feed plant, watered only at root what else can i do please help,thankyou.

Comment

here's an earlier thread on the subject: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ins_20334.html
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

thanks TS, i searched and never found this thread on it only ever found 3 threads from last year!!!!!

I have removed all the affected leaves and i am gonna water in the am, as advised, i will try the washing up liquid as a last resort.

cheers

SS

Comment

Originally posted by ups a daisy View Post
                can anyone please help. my husband has only wanted to grow a pumpkin and i feel really bad because every time one starts to develope it rots at the flower end. i have removed flower as developing thinking this was the problem but not working. have mulched bed and feed plant, watered only at root what else can i do please help,thankyou.
                It could be that the babies are not being pollinated? We are having terrible trouble with all this wet weather - only one pumpkin has set and 2 melons out of a total of 6 plants - I think it is pollination so we've started doing it by hand and fingers crossed a few more will set now. Don't know if there will be time for them to grow and ripen though! Boo.
                Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X