Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beetroot Jelly - What is it & how do I make it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot Jelly - What is it & how do I make it?

I've decided to enter another show and I'm working my way down the list.

One I have chosen is Beetroot Jelly. I've pickled and relished beetroot but haven't a clue about this jelly stuff. Have you made it? I googled it but most of the recipes seen to be with something else, ie, raspberry, cranberry, orange etc. This show is supposedly quite strict so would my entry have to be beetroot only? Recipes and suggestions would be really helpful.

UPDATE
    Just read the schedule again, it actually says 'Jellied Beetroot'
    Last edited by amandaandherveg; 25-08-2008, 12:29 PM.

a jelly according to marguerite patten is nearly the same as jam but is drained over a jelly bag this give is a clear consistency....i'll have a look at my old cookbooks for you
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

It's not sounding very appealing Hans Mum...... I'll be making a small batch me thinks.

Comment

I've made crabapple jelly and raspberry jelly ..... sorry but beetroot jelly sounds gross!
        With the others you boil with enough pectin to set (basically like jam) but then strain (don't squeeze!)

Have found a recipe for a sweet beetroot preserve in an old gels book

5 1/2 lb beets (younger and tender!)
        2 1/4 lb sugar
        1 lemon
        1 orange
        2-3 drops vanilla

Boil beets 1 1/2 hrs with lemon and orange peel
        Put beets (peeled) in preserving pan with juice orange and lemon, stand for 1 hr, heat slowly to boil. When setting point has been reached pour into warmed jars.

Why not adapt this to add the step of 'strain through muslim overnight'?

Rather you than me....

Comment

Might be better to strain through muslin overnight actually!!

Comment

what about this

Jellied Beetroot - Shetlopedia - The Shetland Encyclopaedia - The Shetland Encyclopaedia that anyone can edit.
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Thanks everyone, this all sounds really ick! If I make it I'll give you the results of the Taste Test, if anyone will try it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X