Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What families to sow after carrots/parsnips/caulis

Hello!

I've just had my first harvest of some carrots, parsnips & cauliflower . They're not huge but it feels great to say that I grew them, and now I'm gonna eat 'em!

I was just wondering what I can pop in their places, what families, to keep my veg crops going into the winter. I'm patiently waiting for my local seed shop to get their over wintering onions & things in, kinda planning stage at the moment.

Regards

Clare
    Hand-made Ratty Gifts for Rats & Humans www.ratanon.com

I would leave your parsnips in the ground a little longer - they are best after a frost (and will be bigger too). Personally I would sow more carrots, although some may disagree, in my mind it still the same season!!
    Tx

Comment

I've still got some parsnips in my other veg bed which I'm going to leave til Christmas . Carrot-wise I've already sown some Autumn King before taking these ones out. Some of them were a reasonable size but some were a bit stubby, I think it's because I watered from the top .

I wasn't sure of putting the same family in the same space.

Regards

Clare
      Hand-made Ratty Gifts for Rats & Humans www.ratanon.com

Comment

With carrots, parsnips and cauliflower, you already have 2 families in there; roots & brassicas. So you could go for more roots; carrots, or more brassicas; Spring cabbages/Purple Sprouting Broccoli etc.

Comment

I've been succession-sowing, so that all my carrots aren't ready at the same time ... so I'm not left with an empty bed in August. I've been sowing them every couple of weeks, to extend the crop.

Sow some early Nantes type carrots now... they're quickest growing and you may just get another crop in if we have a warm autumn.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X