Leeks, spinach and cabbage!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks, spinach and cabbage!

Filled my little raised bed with compost today. (its a large box really 2ft by about 4) Ive planted leeks and spinach in it. Added some blood and bone for good measure. I kinda over estimated the size of it so the cabbage plants have gone in individual large pots.

Ive also planted some cd's on wire in the box to deter the HUGE pigeons that hang about

Question: do I need to cover the cabbages? (could be tricky as they are in pots by side of greenhouse). Do I need to set up bird prevention on them as well? they are about 3 inches tall atm.

Anything else I should be doing?

I knew I wouldnt be able to wait till spring when the main bed will be ready. I am so excited to be growing stuff Well buying small plants from Garden centre and planting out, thats not cheating is it?
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

I'd net the cabbage to keep off the cabbage white butterfly and also should deter the pigeons. Use a fine-ish mesh, it's surprising how the butterflies can get in.

Anything else? Try going radish between the leeks?

Cheating? We'll let you off just this once. But next year it's seeds right?
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Pigeons won't attack leeks, but they'll go for your cabbage unless you hide them under nets. CDs don't bother them, they think they're toys
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. The best bit is that I thought I was getting Kale, as thats what it said on the shelf. Was only when i got em home that I realised the plastic label said January King cabbage.

As I dont know what either looks like this young ........they could be anything

Pigeons play with bird scarers? Cheeky blighters
        Last edited by FionaH; 20-08-2008, 09:10 PM.
        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X